PDA

View Full Version : Iceweasel spell checker not working

mecho
05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
All spell check options are turned on in preferences and in the right click menu, plus English/Unated States dictionary shows active in the right click, but still I have not red marking of misspelled words. Hunspell is properly installed on my PC-I am not even sure if Iceweasel uses it.
I searched google extensively on this subject and could not find anything h
Please help

mecho
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
PS - I also tried add dictionary and added the English-Unated States dictionary addon. It's still not working. I am begining to think that the dictionary is working, it's just that something prevents the red marking from showing up

mecho
05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
UPDATE:

When I right click on misspelled word-iceweasel gives a suggestion in the right click menu. I wonder why it is not underlining the misspelled words. I have no way of knowing which of the words are misspelled

mecho
06-26-2010, 03:28 AM
The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
0 = no underlining
1 = dotted line
2 = long dots
3 = single straight line
4 = double underline

The change takes effect immediately
Hope this was helpful

krishna.murphy
06-26-2010, 05:39 PM
The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
0 = no underlining
1 = dotted line
2 = long dots
3 = single straight line
4 = double underline

The change takes effect immediately
Hope this was helpful

I checked and found that I had no such key, as well - but I misspelled it when I tried to create the new one! Any tips on how to delete it?

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

mecho
06-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Open ~/.mozila and navigate to your account. With me it is /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/knoppix

All custom preferences are stored in prefs.js

Find the line with the misspelled key and just delete it. You must do this with ICEWEASEL CLOSED. Otherwise changes won't take effect and the key will just be recreated.
You can edit all keys right in prefs.js with browser closed
Better use copy and paste when you create a key. No chance of misspelled words.

mecho
07-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.

krishna.murphy
07-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.

Right. I tried inserting it, too, but misspelled it. Anybody know how to get rid of it?

Krishna :mrgreen:

mecho
07-01-2010, 03:25 AM
I wrote to you how to get rid of it in my previous messages. Just scroll up :D

utu
07-10-2010, 04:40 PM
@mecho

Many thanks for this idea.
I'd always had this feature by default in most other installations.
Was hesitant at first going to Mozilla for the add-on, but no problems there.
I can give up the wiggly underline.

kcah
07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
yay i got mine fixed too!!! thanks for bring it up the topic!!! It was bothering me for a while now... tho my was named "layout.spellcheckDefault".... well, i guess it's still not working for me... but at least by changing the value to '0' there are not more annoying red lines any more...

mecho
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
layout.spellcheckDefault is a different key. It has a different purpose. It takes the values of 0,1 and 2
where 0 is no underline, 1 is underline only multiple lines and 2 is underline multiple lines and single line. If you use option 2 it will underline spell errors even when you type a single line in google search

kcah
07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
oh, well

at least all the red lines are gone for now... >.<

couldn't find the line you were refering in you post... do i have to create/add that ?

mecho
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
yes you have to create it.Read the post

mecho
07-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I am sorry - I did not pay much attention to your message. ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is used to correct a problem with Iceweasel not displaying the underline of misspelled words. If you have the underlines but your spell checker is not working, then you are having a different problem, probably connected to hunspell, but I can not say for sure. ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle merely changes the way misspelled words are underlined