PDA

View Full Version : Live CD boot problem

kieran101
05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first time experimenting with Linux and to be honest i wasnt expecting it to be a walk in the park but here goes, my first problem

When i boot from CD i get:

Knoppix 6 found at: /dev/sr0
>> starting in Live-Mode
>>/sbin/init: line 1: In: command not found
>>/sbin/init: line 2: of: command not found

and it just stalls here?...

Can anyone help me out please?

addititional info.
1. Downloaded Knoppix V.6.2.1 and burned the complete rar file to CD using PowersISO. (perhaps i didnt burn it correctly?)

Thanks

krishna.murphy
05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first time experimenting with Linux and to be honest i wasnt expecting it to be a walk in the park but here goes, my first problem

When i boot from CD i get:

Knoppix 6 found at: /dev/sr0
>> starting in Live-Mode
>>/sbin/init: line 1: In: command not found
>>/sbin/init: line 2: of: command not found

and it just stalls here?...

Can anyone help me out please?

addititional info.
1. Downloaded Knoppix V.6.2.1 and burned the complete rar file to CD using PowersISO. (perhaps i didnt burn it correctly?)

Thanks

The first thing I'd do if it were mine is to check the CD/DVD to see if it's good (that should have been an ISO, not a RAR, BTW) as follows, at boot-time:

knoppix testcd
or
knoppix testdvdIf it needs to be re-done, you should check the ISO to see if it's got a good md5 sum (google that to find a program to check it, then google whatever long string it gives you to see if it's the one you should get for the ISO you have.) Once you have a known-good ISO, you can burn again; the best tips I've got on that are:
1) try re-writable media, if you have any
2) try a slower speed burn
3) kill the Explorer process from the ctrl-alt-del "program manager" window, and use the ability that's there to start PowerISO without Explorer (it seems Explorer bogs down the system, and makes burner programs goof up!)

Let us know how it goes, and have fun with it!

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen: