PDA

View Full Version : how do i get screen resolution 1024x768 to stick on an hd install?

don999
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Just a silly question, I've got knoppix installed to the hard drive and it works quite nicely. However, every time I boot, the resolution is auto-detected at 1600x1200 and I am used to 1024x768. On each boot, I have to manually change the resolution which is easy to do, but after the 100th time... How do you get the resolution to "stick" after a reboot. Thanks, Don

krishna.murphy
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Just a silly question, I've got knoppix installed to the hard drive and it works quite nicely. However, every time I boot, the resolution is auto-detected at 1600x1200 and I am used to 1024x768. On each boot, I have to manually change the resolution which is easy to do, but after the 100th time... How do you get the resolution to "stick" after a reboot. Thanks, Don

Hey-

Good to hear you're using Knoppix! Just need some details to know which way to steer you. Did you use the hdinstall script, or do a "poor mans' install", i.e this:
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1from the Knoppix boot command line? If the latter, did you create a "persistent store file" when prompted? That would allow changes to 'stick'. Or perhaps you mis-spoke, and meant that you're booting into the LiveCD environment each time - that would not allow changes to stick. There are some useful tips in the Knoppix cheatcodes file, which you can get from the KNOPPIX folder on the CD even in Windows, or here (http://mirror.leaseweb.com/knoppix-dvd/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt), for instance.

Let us know!

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

don999
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Krishna, Yes I'm still using knoppix! When I heard about the 6.3 linuxmagazine DVD I had to rush out and buy it. I used the 0wn installer (in Preferences/Knoppix HD install) and most settings will stick (like turning off the compiz corner actions, it took me forever to figure out out to do that heh heh). I suppose I could try editing the bootup cheatcodes in grub... Don
Hey-

Good to hear you're using Knoppix! Just need some details to know which way to steer you. Did you use the hdinstall script, or do a "poor mans' install", i.e this:
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1from the Knoppix boot command line? If the latter, did you create a "persistent store file" when prompted? That would allow changes to 'stick'. Or perhaps you mis-spoke, and meant that you're booting into the LiveCD environment each time - that would not allow changes to stick. There are some useful tips in the Knoppix cheatcodes file, which you can get from the KNOPPIX folder on the CD even in Windows, or here (http://mirror.leaseweb.com/knoppix-dvd/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt), for instance.

Let us know!

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

don999
06-12-2010, 03:49 PM
success! I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and added screen=1024x768 onto the knoppix command line. SWEET!!!