PDA

View Full Version : my knoppix installation was all in german language.

ejames82
06-07-2010, 03:25 AM
for a while now, i have been trying to install knoppix to a hard drive. things kept going wrong. things kept going wrong, last thing i recall is getting a black screen of inactivity. Then, i tried a different computer and got lucky and the installation completed, alas.
when the computer booted, everything was in the language of germany. i couldn't understand most of it. what a disappointment. i need it to be in english.
a friend who is more experienced and knowledgeable about linux told me that there is some kind of edit or command that needs tobe done to change everything over to english.
that is why i'm here. i need to know how to make my knoppix installation in english.
can anybody please help me. i'd like to check knoppix out and decide if it's for me.
i need to start over with a new hard drive installation.
thanks.

Capricorny
06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
for a while now, i have been trying to install knoppix to a hard drive. things kept going wrong. things kept going wrong, last thing i recall is getting a black screen of inactivity. Then, i tried a different computer and got lucky and the installation completed, alas.
when the computer booted, everything was in the language of germany. i couldn't understand most of it. what a disappointment. i need it to be in english.
a friend who is more experienced and knowledgeable about linux told me that there is some kind of edit or command that needs tobe done to change everything over to english.
that is why i'm here. i need to know how to make my knoppix installation in english.
can anybody please help me. i'd like to check knoppix out and decide if it's for me.
i need to start over with a new hard drive installation.
thanks.

For the umpteenth time: WHY do you try to install Knoppix to a hard drive? And if there is ONE way you can't decide whether Knoppix is for you, it is installing it to a hard drive. If you are looking for a distro for ordinary install, Knoppix is NOT for you. Plain and simple, and really not to discuss. All the "help me" postings here and elsewhere just illustrate the futility. Still, Knoppix may be for you, but then you must use it as it is intended.

The main point behind this, it that Linux, by its very nature, is marginally suited for ordinary newbie use. It is a system by hackers, for hackers. That's not at all only negative for an ordinary end user, as people tend to find out quite soon, but there is a huge effort needed to adapt it for general use - that's what we have distros for. And Knoppix has one specialty: Being installation-independent as far as possible.

You CAN run Knoppix in ways very similar to ordinary HD installs, but you have to do it on Knoppix' own premises. I have just posted two rather fool-proof ways of doing the "installation", which is in effect NOT adapting Knoppix for the computer, but adapting the computer for Knoppix. That difference is essential. And there are a few steps involved. For testing out, using the Knoppix "install to flash" option, and setting up a persistent image on that, is the way to go. In my experience, copying the KNOPPIX structure to the harddisk should always be from a well-functioning flash/external USB disk version, with persistent storage set up, extra programs installed etc. I also prefer to do subsequent updating on the external media, testing it and updating the hard disk copy when I'm sure all is well.

ejames82
06-13-2010, 03:09 AM
"you must use it as it is intended."
fair enough.

"I have just posted two rather fool-proof ways of doing the "installation", which is in effect NOT adapting Knoppix for the computer, but adapting the computer for Knoppix"
i wish you would have left links to those posts. i enjoy a good lesson. i hope to find those posts.
thanks for the reply.

krishna.murphy
06-14-2010, 04:49 AM
"you must use it as it is intended."
fair enough.

"I have just posted two rather fool-proof ways of doing the "installation", which is in effect NOT adapting Knoppix for the computer, but adapting the computer for Knoppix"
i wish you would have left links to those posts. i enjoy a good lesson. i hope to find those posts.
thanks for the reply.

FYI - By clicking on the username link on a post, you can then choose to look at a user's posts. The two posts I think he means are here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28466-Unmodified-Knoppix-6.2.1-on-GRUB-booted-external-Unix-USB-device-from-scratch?p=120509&highlight=) and here. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28462-Fool-proof-multi-boot-PC-with-Knoppix-6.2.1-run-from-HD-as-deault-boot-option.?p=120491&highlight=#post120491) Another really useful bit on changing the persistent store size after the fact is here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28316-resizing-knoppix-data.img?p=120365&highlight=#post120365), FWIW.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen: