PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WUSB11

oloompa
06-08-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm fairly sure someone has asked this already, but can anyone tell me a really easy way to get the Linksys wusb11 or the netgear MA101 to work?

probono
06-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Here is what I did with my Siemens SpeedStream USB adapter (based on the Prism2 chipset):
in /etc/networking/interfaces:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
Then I use the following commands to connect:

sudo su
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream authtype=opensystem
ifup wlan0
pump -i wlan0
Of course you should use your own SSID instead of "SpeedStream".

Please also see the similar thread on http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1464

probono

oloompa
06-09-2003, 03:07 AM
I typed the stuff in, but it wouldn't let me save over the file. Does it matter that I'm running it from a CD?

probono
06-13-2003, 10:02 PM
You must become root, copy the contents of the old file, then delete the old file, and create a new file in the same location where you paste the contents of the old file plus the additional new line.

aay
06-25-2003, 08:09 PM
probono,

This post was a big help to me. Thanks to you I just got my linksys wusb12 working! It's a different device but your info works just as well since it uses the same driver.

One how do you handle encryption with these things? I turned off WEP in order to see if I could get this to work and since there was no place to enter a key code , I'm assuming that reenabling it will kill my connection.

Thanks again for the post!

phillfri
09-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Probono,

I have a SPEEDSTREAM 2510 powerline router with a wireless adapter in my living room. I am utilizing a Linksys WUSB12 wireless adapter on my Desknote computer. My current setup under Windows XP accomodates both a direct ethernet cable link to my router AND a wireless link via the 2510 wireless adapter/Desknote WUSB12 adapter - albeit I don't use both simultaneously. At home I often use the ethernet cable link for large file transfers from my server and settle for the wireless link when browsing the web. At work I use the wireless link to connect to my work computer.

I tried adding the command you recommend to the networking interface file. Then I rebooted without running the subsequent commands to activate the wireless link. I wanted to see, in the absemce of activating the wireless link, whether I would still have my ethernet cable connection. Unfortunately, that connection was dead.

Does anyone know of a way to have both types of connections at your disposal?

andymadigan
09-13-2003, 06:25 PM
In regard to Linksys WUSB11,
If you're starting from CD (or from Compressed Filesystem on HD) then any WUSB11 should be autodetected, I use Linksys WUSB11 version 2.6 (this version is NOT compatable with v2.5 or wlan-ng) Knoppix automatically sets-up my card and I can get on the net with no problems. Unfortuanelty, I have no idea how to make this card work on ANY other OS. Does anyone know which driver is used?

Geoffrey
12-17-2003, 11:07 PM
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ I had a little trouble getting it to work on some distros but it is a pretty good driver. Yeah I know this is an old post but people always ask this question so I figured I may as well clear it up. I'm glad that knoppix recognizes it automatically and I'm really disappointed that it's the only distro that does. I would've thought more distros would support it since almost all usb wireless lan adapters use this driver. For some reason this driver would not work at all for me on redhat, but other than that it's a great driver.

empoy
03-28-2004, 12:12 AM
to andymadigan: what knoppix version are you using? cause you said that your WUSB is automatically detected....

Goeffrey: Does this mean that I have to do a HDD install to get the driver working?

Thanks[/quote]

haYnguy
08-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I typed in:

lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

and it gave this error

the cmd 'ifstate=enable' is invalid

and this was my response: :shock:

stockerphil
11-11-2006, 10:11 AM
In regard to Linksys WUSB11,
If you're starting from CD (or from Compressed Filesystem on HD) then any WUSB11 should be autodetected, I use Linksys WUSB11 version 2.6 (this version is NOT compatable with v2.5 or wlan-ng) Knoppix automatically sets-up my card and I can get on the net with no problems. Unfortuanelty, I have no idea how to make this card work on ANY other OS. Does anyone know which driver is used?

Can i ask what sort of version of knoppix you have , because i have an english version of 5.0 and the wusb11 is not detecte