PDA

View Full Version : Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

bongski55
06-09-2003, 07:50 AM
I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.

Seems an overkill?

Stephen
06-09-2003, 08:26 AM
I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.

Seems an overkill?
The point was it always seemed strange to me that when Christian wrote the script he could manage to get the system on the disk but left you with the user knoppix. It bothered me so much that I set about seeing how hard it would be to have your own user at install and once I had it figured out I thought someone else might want to try it so I wrote it down. That's why it is there.

bongski55
06-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Can I also write a Docs topic? How?

I see some Docs questions that have "A:???" in it and happen to know some remedy based on my experience.

Stephen
06-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Just use the edit this page at the bottom and you can edit the page actually anyone can edit the pages that's what the wiki is for. You should look at the examples it is a little strange in formating it is not like html it takes a little getting used to.

rickenbacherus
06-10-2003, 02:17 AM

Seems an overkill?

I wanted to know the same thing the first time I saw Stephen mention it. I thought "huh?" I even asked why adduser wasn't working. lol That was before I understood what he was talking about. I have been hacking the script on subsequent installs since then. Be careful tho- Somehow I borked the script once and basically locked myself out. DOH! :)

Cool hack Stephen.

aay
06-10-2003, 05:55 AM
Stephen,

How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.

Stephen
06-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Stephen,

How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.

I used to create my own user with no problems using adduser. Which command do you use adduser or useradd IIRC you have to tell useradd to make the directory and copy the skel files whereas adduser does this automatically.

aay
06-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Stephen,

You were right on the mark. I was using useradd. adduser works great. Thanks.