PDA

View Full Version : allows but limited losetup/mount command for user ?

garyng
06-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Hi,

KNOPPIX is shipped with AES-loop which allows one to use a encrypted file system. What I want to know is how can I give such capability to a normal user(without root priviledge) such that they can losetup their own private file without the ability to mess with the system wide setting. losetup/mount and the /dev/loop? stuff are usually restricted to sys admin and the like.

The idea is like the pgpdisk package found on Window platform where one can have their own private disk volume for saving sensitive data.

Dave_Bechtel
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
--You could try editing /etc/group and putting in a "crypt" entry, then ' chown root.crypt /dev/loop7 '. Put a user in the crypt group, logon as them, and try mounting with -oloop=/dev/loop7. You might also need an fstab entry for the specific encrypted file, with a "user" entry in the options field, but that's just a guess.

--Never tried this before myself, so it's only a suggestion.

Hi,

KNOPPIX is shipped with AES-loop which allows one to use a encrypted file system. What I want to know is how can I give such capability to a normal user(without root priviledge) such that they can losetup their own private file without the ability to mess with the system wide setting. losetup/mount and the /dev/loop? stuff are usually restricted to sys admin and the like.

The idea is like the pgpdisk package found on Window platform where one can have their own private disk volume for saving sensitive data.