PDA

View Full Version : Can't mount with hard disk installation

harryvernon
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I have a hard disk Knoppix installation. Recently it has stopped allowing me to mount the other hard disk (the one Knoppix is not on) or USB devices. The message I get is,

"Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so"

If I boot from my Knoppix live-CD (the CD I used to make my hard disk installation) everything works fine.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Capricorny
07-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Go to the Debian Knoppix list and ask Klaus Knopper directly.

kl522
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Too little information was provided. You should at least provide the command you use to mount the harddisk, and the corresponding dmesg log. I suspect it is likely a matter of /etc/fstab corrupted resulting in errors in commands such as 'mount something' ( ie a mount commands which takes it's parameters from /etc/fstab ). Ask in debian knoppix list is not a bad choice but this certainly does not demand a direct attention from anybody in particular. ;)

Capricorny
07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
The reason I suggested going to the Debian list, is that a very large fraction of the help-messages here are about HD installs. Klaus Knopper seems to be quite content with the present situation, so I think he should at least get the inquiries we are not qualified to tackle.

If HD installs and live versions are supposed to work the same way, this problem should not occur, and if they are not, the differences should be clearly stated somewhere.