PDA

View Full Version : Trouble playing mp4 video

krishna.murphy
07-06-2010, 04:48 AM
I'm feeling a bit stuck on this one, so I'm throwing it out for ideas. I downloaded a hour-long video that I can't see when I play it in any of the video players, including SMplayer, which gives this info on the video:

Resolution 640 x 480
Aspect ratio 1.3333
Format avc1
Bitrate 0 kbps
Frames per second 29.970
Selected codec ffh264

I'm also attaching a screenshot re: video codec, which I suspect is the trouble. Anybody got an inspiration?

Krishna
p.s. Kaffeine doesn't even play the audio, like most of them; just croaks.

kl522
07-06-2010, 06:27 AM
...I can't see when I play it in any of the video players, including SMplayer, which gives this info on the video:

Selected codec ffh264
p.s. Kaffeine doesn't even play the audio, like most of them; just croaks.

It's not the fault of the players. It seems all the players are somehow and someway relate back to mplayer. What is missing is actually the necessary codec library. I am not the codec expert but I suspect you will probably need 'libavcodec' or others. It's also useful to download the w32codecs. I used to have problem with video files, but after install all the codec libraries, I don't seem to encounter a single problem with video playback anymore.

krishna.murphy
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
It's not the fault of the players. It seems all the players are somehow and someway relate back to mplayer. What is missing is actually the necessary codec library. I am not the codec expert but I suspect you will probably need 'libavcodec' or others. It's also useful to download the w32codecs. I used to have problem with video files, but after install all the codec libraries, I don't seem to encounter a single problem with video playback anymore.
I have the codec library, as shown in Synaptic:

ffmpeg codec library

This is the codec library from the ffmpeg project. It supports most existing encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...).

This package contains a Debian-specific version of the libavcodec shared object that should only be used by Debian packages.
Do you have a recommended procedure for installing/using the Windows codecs?

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

kl522
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
The codecs world is a jungle, even if you have libavcodec, the versions will also have impact on the compatibility and suitability.

Here is a link about the codecs :-

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html

To install the w32codecs, I suggest you try to find the debian package for it ( .deb) . Then you can use 'dpkg' or equivalent to install it.

kl522
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Another way of keeping the codecs current is to upgrade the 'mplayer'.

ICPUG
07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
It seems to me from the initial message that the movie is encoded in AVCL and SMPlayer has tried to use H264 and failed.

I have never heard of AVCL before so googled for: avcl movie

It seems a weird one - nothing from wikipedia comes up! On the basis of a few random headers it looks as if it might be popular in Japan as a high definition movie format.

I don't think you are going to find an AVCL codec amongst the Windows collection and perhaps not amongst any collection - it does not seem to be popular enough here in the West.

ICPUG
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Update to my previous post.

I may have misread the earlier screen. avc1 and not AVCL. If so, then avc1 is another name for h264 (used by vnc media player apparently). Now I don't know why it is not playing! I would try vnc player. This does seem to play just about anything - when all else fails!

krishna.murphy
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Update to my previous post.

I may have misread the earlier screen. avc1 and not AVCL. If so, then avc1 is another name for h264 (used by vnc media player apparently). Now I don't know why it is not playing! I would try vnc player. This does seem to play just about anything - when all else fails!

I assume you mean VLC - which is my default player. I just got a bunch of info on the movie from SMplayer.

kl522
07-06-2010, 11:43 PM
As mentioned I am not the codecs experts, but maybe you can try to post the output of this :-
$ mplayer -vc help |grep 264

On my computer, this is what I get :-

ffh264 ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 [h264]
ffh264vdpau ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU) [h264_vdpau]
coreavcwindows dshow working CoreAVC H.264 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/ [CoreAVCDecoder.ax]
vssh264 dshow working VSS H.264 New [vsshdsd.dll]
vssh264old vfw working VSS H.264 Old [vssh264.dll]
It seems I have both the ffmpeg h264 codec as well as vssh264 codec in the form of win32.dll.

krishna.murphy
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
As mentioned I am not the codecs experts, but maybe you can try to post the output of this :-

On my computer, this is what I get :-

coreavcwindows dshow working CoreAVC H.264 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/ [CoreAVCDecoder.ax]
It seems I have both the ffmpeg h264 codec as well as vssh264 codec in the form of win32.dll.

I got it working! It took a bit of searching to find the w32codecs.deb archive for lennie, which I assumed would be the right one. Anyway, I found it here (http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian-multimedia/pool/main/w/w32codecs/) and downloaded, then installed with Gdebi. The command+output you requested is here:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ mplayer -vc help |grep 264

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

I'll check after I post this to see what's in there (that doesn't do the job for me) without my persistent store.

Cheers!

kl522
07-07-2010, 02:21 AM
I assume that 'I got it working' means you can now play the said video file correctly. With this addition, you should be also be able to play real video (.rmvb) and many other video formats.

krishna.murphy
07-07-2010, 02:23 AM
No joy, I guess. This what I get with a boot without my p.s.:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ mplayer -vc help |grep 264

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

kl522
07-07-2010, 02:28 AM
I have different views on the output of 'mplayer -vc help' now. I think it is just tell us what is the status of the codec support from the developers point of view. It does not mean the software actually performs tests to check if it is working. In other words, the output of the command is fixed for a particular version of 'mplayer'. It is not a site specific output.

krishna.murphy
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Here's what SMPlayer says my movie is:

Video Resolution 624 x 352
Aspect ratio 1.7727
Format XVID
Bitrate 997 kbps
Frames per second 23.976
Selected codec ffodivx

I get a blank screen, but the sound's good; anybody got a clue as to what codec I need, and where to get it?

mecho
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I am using w32codecs package and I just did a mp4 test at http://www.yo-yo.org/mp4/ - It worked just fine using SMPlayer

krishna.murphy
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I am using w32codecs package and I just did a mp4 test at http://www.yo-yo.org/mp4/ - It worked just fine using SMPlayer

Well, I tried the first one and it didn't work, either; the one I sent data on was an AVI file, so more questionable. I rebooted - problem gone.

Ciao!