PDA

View Full Version : problem reading ntfs

tyiooo
06-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi!

I have a problem for reading my ntfs partition. (I just want to read not write, I know this is possible)

I get /mnt/hda1 but it's empty....
What should I do?

Config: Toshiba satellite laptop/knoppix 3.2 hdinstall

Thank you for your precious help :D

rickenbacherus
06-09-2003, 04:37 PM
OK so you do something like this:

mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
cd /mnt/hda1
ls

If the drive mounted without errors you should see something there.

tyiooo
06-09-2003, 05:36 PM
okay it worked! I can now access my ntfs partition.

I logged on as root to mount. Now I can't figure out how to give my user account the right to read hda1. I tried (as user) right click on hda1>properties>read +I checked the "apply to subfolders" box but that didn't work..

Thanks for helping a newbie :)

rickenbacherus
06-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I tried (as user) right click on hda1>properties>read +I checked the "apply to subfolders" box but that didn't work..

Thanks for helping a newbie :)

user cannot change permissions unless user owns whatever you're trying to change permissions on. Try it as root.

tyiooo
06-09-2003, 06:57 PM
OH I was wrong to write "(as user)"in my previous message. I tried as root to change permissions for my user account to be able to access my hda1 (ntfs partition).
Sorry I was probably tired but I really don't know how to change permissions even as root..I tried again with a right click on the hda1 >properties>permissions but it still doesn't work

Thanks again for your help

Tyio
:) [/u]

Stephen
06-09-2003, 08:36 PM
OH I was wrong to write "(as user)"in my previous message. I tried as root to change permissions for my user account to be able to access my hda1 (ntfs partition).
Sorry I was probably tired but I really don't know how to change permissions even as root..I tried again with a right click on the hda1 >properties>permissions but it still doesn't work

Thanks again for your help

Tyio
:) [/u]

Try as root in a console window chown user_name.user_name /mnt/hda1 to change the permission to the user for the partition.

tyiooo
06-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I tried and I first tought it worked because the hda1 permissions checkboxes had been checked but I couldn't see any subfolder..

Is there something else to try?

Thank you

tyio

tyiooo
06-11-2003, 10:15 AM
I tried again chown user_name.user_name /mnt/hda1
but I still can't use my ntfs partition...

Thnak you for your help

tyiooo
06-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Ok I found this thread about ntfs on knoppix as user
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2126&highlight=ntfs

tyiooo
06-11-2003, 09:08 PM
No this finally didn't solve my problem.
Please someone help me!

I can't get access to my ntfs drive from the user account!!!

garyng
06-12-2003, 05:25 AM
try this :

mount /dev/hda? /mnt/hda? -o umask=022

this should give them rx but not write previledge.