PDA

View Full Version : running from cd - can i save settings to HD?

arieljake
08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I am running Knoppix from the CD, as a temporary way of testing linux apps developed on a Win32 machine. Is there a way to save the settings, such as Network Connection params, to disk so that subsequent loads from CD can pick up where the last session left off?

krishna.murphy
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes - there are a number of options. I started with what's called a "poor man's install", which is accomplished by typing at the boot prompt (big penguin on screen! ;change sdax to match your preferred hd/partition):
knoppix tohd=/dev/sdax
Afterwards, type instead:

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdaxThis gets you hd speed as well as the ability to save everything that you normally would have available (extra programs, i.e. flash video player), home directory (read settings), etc. Take a look at the Knoppix cheatcodes (in the KNOPPIX folder) to get a better view of what you can do - it's a powerful tool.

Note that if you use an NTFS (M$ Windows) partition for this, you'll be writing to that partition type; some people have a problem with that. Myself, I goofed once and messed up my NTFS partition, but the latest driver (included by default) itself seems highly reliable. I got good help here for my problem, and decided to participate a whole lot. Give it a try, and let us know if you need more help.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen: