PDA

View Full Version : HD Install what Debian version?

bongski55
06-10-2003, 06:31 AM
I now have knoppix in my HD. I also have 'apt-get update'. So what version of debian do I have?

I see a line at the boot up stating "debian testing/unstable" .Does this mean I have the combination of testing and unstable debian?

Stephen
06-10-2003, 07:16 AM
I now have knoppix in my HD. I also have 'apt-get update'. So what version of debian do I have?

I see a line at the boot up stating "debian testing/unstable" .Does this mean I have the combination of testing and unstable debian?
Yes. If you want to check on your or any other machine running debian then in a console window cat /etc/debian_version.

bongski55
06-10-2003, 07:44 AM
What then is better, installing using the latest Knoppix or using an old knoppix and apt-get update?

garyng
06-10-2003, 07:48 AM
use whatever is in the latest KNOPPIX unless you know what you are doing. apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade is not as painless as it sounds. It is great that Klaus has helped to iron out all the dependency detail.

Stephen
06-10-2003, 08:03 AM
What then is better, installing using the latest Knoppix or using an old knoppix and apt-get update?

All you get by using the latest version is improvements made to the cd itself (the scripts) and additions of software to it. If you are happy with the packages you have now there is no need to use the latest version, apt will keep all your packages installed now up to date.

www.rzr.online.fr
06-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Are knoppix packages online ?
if we want to upgrade those through apt ?

why knoppix repository isnt in apt/source.list

Stephen
06-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Are knoppix packages online ?
if we want to upgrade those through apt ?

why knoppix repository isnt in apt/source.list

Knoppix uses standard .deb packages and as such the regular sources for Debian are the correct settings for the sources.list. If you mean the knoppix scripts IIRC they can be found at any of the mirrors for the image itself.

www.rzr.online.fr
06-17-2003, 02:01 PM
I knew that knoppix is debian

but why the knoppix scripts aren't packaged in deb files
that can be acessed through apt

most of pakages installed in knoppix are not more online
so what if i delete some of theam and want to install them again ?

Stephen
06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I knew that knoppix is debian

but why the knoppix scripts aren't packaged in deb files
that can be acessed through apt

most of pakages installed in knoppix are not more online
so what if i delete some of theam and want to install them again ?

The packages should be in /var/cache/apt/archives/ before you uninstall them backup the knoppix* packages to a directory and if you ever need them again then install with dpkg -i knoppix-package from the backups. As to why there is no .deb I don't really know.