PDA

View Full Version : Need help with saving configurations

benzee1
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I want to save my configuration so I can keep installed programs, settings, downloads etc. The FAQ tells me to: Go to the K-menu > KNOPPIX > Configuration and choose "save config", When I go to the Knoppix menu, there is no "configuration". There is Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Other, Sound & Video, System tools, Universal access, Preferences, Run and Log Out. I've tried different options through the Prefereces and other menus, but can not find anything to save my configuration. Please help.

krishna.murphy
08-18-2010, 02:39 AM
I want to save my configuration so I can keep installed programs, settings, downloads etc. The FAQ tells me to: Go to the K-menu > KNOPPIX > Configuration and choose "save config", When I go to the Knoppix menu, there is no "configuration". There is Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Other, Sound & Video, System tools, Universal access, Preferences, Run and Log Out. I've tried different options through the Prefereces and other menus, but can not find anything to save my configuration. Please help.

I think youve been looking at the tips for an older version. First, you have to have a writable medium - usually a flash drive/sdcard these days, though I like my hard drive pseudo-installs. Try clicking Preferences-Install Knoppix to flash disk and then boot from that medium; you'll be prompted to create a "persistent image", which will do what you want.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

benzee1
08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
I tried to install it to flash as you mentioned, but it said the device was already mounted.

seribas
10-29-2010, 03:00 AM
I think youve been looking at the tips for an older version. First, you have to have a writable medium - usually a flash drive/sdcard these days, though I like my hard drive pseudo-installs. Try clicking Preferences-Install Knoppix to flash disk and then boot from that medium; you'll be prompted to create a "persistent image", which will do what you want.

Cheers!

when that prompt comes up I typed 3000mb and hit enter, but that message comes up everytime i boot from my thumb drive. How do i make it stay? am i trying to designate too much space? btw my thumbdrive is 4gb. thanks for any help!

krishna.murphy
10-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Try typing just "3000" - that seems to be the key. There was a rather in-depth thread on the subject of modifying the script that handles that a while back, if you want to look at the innards.

Cheers!

seribas
10-29-2010, 06:12 AM
awsome! thanks for the help that worked!

duckegg12
02-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Cheers!

The Knoppix documentation Wiki clearly says you can run a Live-cd and make changes persitent by saving all changes to a HDD or FlashDrive. This can't be achieved by the 'Install to HDD or FlashDrive' stated to be a solution above.

I want to use a live -cd with persistence on a HDD or F-drive as a teaching mechanism people can use in class, and then on their home computers. But 'saveconfig' cant be run as the Wiki says - 'from the command line'. It's not a recognised command in the boot command-line, the text-install command-line, the terminal command-line, or even the 'run-box'!!

Furthermore there is no 'save configuration' option in the LXDE desktop Menu, and I can't install KDE which allegedly does have a 'save configuration' option in the desktop Menu - because the 'desktop=kde' cheat code also doesn't work in the boot command line.

The knoppix documentation and commentary makes much of the 'live -cd with persistence on a HDD or F-drive'-abilty of Knoppix. It seems like a hollow promise.

( BTW, It doesn't seem to work on Ubunrtu Lucid or Debian 6.5 either, which is why I turned to Knoppix.)

Forester
02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Knoppix up to the version 5 series did what you want and did it very well. The Knoppix 6 series won't. I have not seen an explanation of why, only some speculation. The implication is that people will install to USB and then they can have persistent store.

There is an unofficial cheat code that could help but you would have to remaster your CD in order to try it and you probably are not prepared to go that far.

The Wiki is very much out of date. It has almost no information on Knoppix 6. I don't know who should or could maintain this but it isn't the developper(s) of Knoppix. It is probably the likes of the Senior Members on this forum.

It is interesting to learn that CD-with-persistence does not work on Ubuntu or Debian either. It is also interesting that Knoppix was your third choice. :(

It seems the Wikipedia is out of date when it still describes the old, glorious, Knoppix capabilities. The Wikipedia entry on Klaus Knopper is more up to date when it describes Knoppix today as:

Therefore "a well-known live CD Linux distribution" may not be entirely appropriate.Alas, poor Klaus !

You might try Puppy Linux. It is a few years since I used it and I think the creator has stepped down. Puppy might still allow persistence even with the CD. You might not find it a good teaching vehicle and it certainly won't have the same huge choice of software packages.

duckegg12
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks Forester, that's interesting, but sad.

Yes, Puppy does it all, but i really want something with access to Gnome and the Debian repositories.

I would be interested in the unofficial cheat code that will allow me to get what i want via a re-master.

ICPUG
02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
There are 2 solutions to duckegg12's problem.

Use Puppy Linux - The benevolent dictator of said project did threaten to leave but remains to concentrate on trying out new ideas and maintaining Wary which is Puppy, that works on older hardware as well as more modern stuff. Mainstream Puppy is currently in the hands of the Community under the watchful direction of Playdayz. Signficant Puppy remasters are Fluppy for netbooks and LightHouse Puppy - which I like to think of as Puppy for Professionals. There is more software around for Puppy than most commentators think - it is just made hard to find to keep them on their toes!

Possibly the simplest solution is to just use Knoppix v.5.3.1. If Knoppix 6.x is not fit for purpose then don't use it. The Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD has got way more stuff than Knoppix 6.x as well.

Forester
02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
There are 2 solutions to duckegg12's problem.

Possibly the simplest solution is to just use Knoppix v.5.3.1.

Well, you may be in luck there. You may still be able to down load it from here: ftp://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/Linux/Knoppix/archive/

i really want something with access to Gnome and the Debian repositories.

I suspect 5.3.1 may be a little too old and KDE-centric for that but you might still be able to get stuff out of oldstable (aka lenny).

I would be interested in the unofficial cheat code that will allow me to get what i want via a re-master.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29060-Unofficial-cheatcode-for-those-who-miss-the-old-official-home-cheatcode

Ignore the posts from utu - he's just trying to wind me up. ;)

Werner P. Schulz
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Knoppix up to the version 5 series did what you want and did it very well. The Knoppix 6 series won't. I have not seen an explanation of why, only some speculation. The implication is that people will install to USB and then they can have persistent store.

... have a look at mkimage (http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2008/04/msg00023.html)

I suppose Klaus Knopper has not yet a good solution for this problem of persistence to HD.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)