PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.2 ain't booting my pc...

SAM247
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to recover my older pc (which runs win 98 se), the one I use for downloading and experimenting. It had crashed sometime back, and I ain't able to recover.

So I downloaded Knoppix 6.2 and tried to boot. The system starts up pretty well with all the info etc.. provided by knoppix, but soon after, an image appears (some scenery) and the mouse pointer and that's it !! nothing else happens.. no menus or options, nothing.. just the image... so what do I do.. ?

The hardware spec by the way is P III 500Mhz with 186 MB memory.

Please help...

Sam

krishna.murphy
08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
This sounds like a bad disk - which is VERY common. Try typing in this code at boot time (when the big penguin is onscreen):
knoppix testcd (or testdvd) If the disk is defective, you should check the download, too - just google for "check md5" plus your OS to find a program to do it. Once you have a known good disk, then it's time to burn at SLOW speed; if using Windows XP/Vista, you can also kill "explorer.exe" to run without the shell, which is reported to work wonders, even allowing high-speed burns (possibly.)

Let us know how it goes, and ask another question if you need more help.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2010, 05:35 AM
If the disc is bad there are a couple of additional questions. Was the md5 check-sum of the ISO file checked and confirmed to be OK? Was the disc burnt at a low speed, such as 4X? (Hint: "yes" is the correct answer to each question.)