PDA

View Full Version : KNoppix modified my root name

mepouze
09-22-2010, 07:25 AM
<span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hi,

I used knoppix to explore my centos 5.5 GUI, but knoppix modified my root name.
Before running it, my root name in the terminal was 'root@mepouze'
Now it is 'root@knoppix ~ mepouze'
So I tried to find how to modify this value it on the internet, but i did not find any topic about it.
I re-installed Centos 5.5 GUI hoping that it will erase the value written, but it has not changed anything about it.

Thanks for your answers.</span>

Harry Kuhman
09-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Did you run Knoppix from CD or DVD (as God intended), or did you "install" it? If it was run from an optical disc then it should not write to the disc.

mepouze
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
yes i used the dvd of knoppix

mepouze
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
yes I used the dvd of knoppix
What I forgot to precise is that I used the version 5.1.1 of knoppix CD, not dvd.
So now, i'm thinking about many things : maybe the 5.1.1 CD Boot is too old and presents uncompatiblities with the news OSes like centos 5.5 GUI.
Maybe I will have to format my disk in fat32 in order to clean it totally.
I need some help to conclue =p

krishna.murphy
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
If you're seeing root@knoppix, it's probably because you're booted into Knoppix, not centos. There should be no changes to the hard drive - it's just the way knoppix identifies itself.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

mepouze
09-22-2010, 06:03 PM
It's impossible to boot on it because my priority device is hard drive first.
I've disabled cd priority.
This problem is inside Centos wich has been, according to me, modified somewhere by knoppix.

Harry Kuhman
09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
It's impossible to boot on it because my priority device is hard drive first.
I've disabled cd priority.
This problem is inside Centos wich has been, according to me, modified somewhere by knoppix.
Knoppix will use a Linux swap file if one is available on the hard disk. Beyond that it should not write to the hard disk at all unless instructed to, and even then there are several safeguards that make writing (accidentally or deliberately) hard for a beginner. Ive seen a few other cases where someone claimed that Knoppix mucked something up on its own, but have never seen a confirmed case of it.

I assume it was possible to boot Knoppix at one point, otherwise you likely would not claim that Knoppix made a change. And it would be "possible" again, just by the flipping the BIOS setting again. Why disable CD booting (or CD priority as you call it) when you could prevent booting a disc just by removing it from the drive?

krishna.murphy
09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
The knoppix in the string is the so-called "machine name". This may be changed by editing the /etc/hosts file. However, there may be other places that centos puts the machine name, too. Essentially, your problem won't affect much of anything in most cases, but if you want to poke around in the administrative utilities included with that distro, you can make it say what you want.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen: