PDA

View Full Version : network manager 0.8.1

chah
09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I really like the network-manager that comes with Knoppix 6.2.1. It's currently version 0.7.1. I noticed on the network manager page: http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ (http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager), that version 0.8.1 is out and it supports bluetooth DUN, something I've been struggling to get working, with only partial success.

I tried compiling version 0.8.1, but have been hitting a few snags. Just want to know has anyone on here gotten Network-manager 0.8.1 working? If there is an easier way than trying to compile from the source, pls let me know.

Thanks!

kl522
09-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Just bring up Synaptic Package Manager, set the preferred distribution to testing or unstable, you will see that network manager 0.8.1 is listed there. Select it and upgrade.

chah
09-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try, selecting network-manager. Synaptic chose to install, upgrade and remove certain packages from my system, and it took about 15 minutes of downloading and installing. At the end, network-manager was still version 0.7, and other things stopped working (konqueror for example). A few dialog boxes popped up during the process that I did not pay close attention to, I suppose I should have.

Has anyone managed to get network-manager 0.8.1 installed through synaptic?

Thanks

chah
09-30-2010, 10:12 AM
One thing that I thought might be an issue, is that network manager is managing my network connection, and that I need to download data to perform the upgrade. I wonder if this might cause some problems, upgrading a software while it is being used?

kl522
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
That's me, I am currently using network-manager 0.8.1, but I never notice anything which allows me to configure bluetooth DUN.

In any case, because of package conflicts problem in knoppix, your upgrade to unstable/testing may not have succeeded. I have been through that once. Now almost all my packages are in 'unstable/testing'. I can't remember exactly what it took me to get pass the package conflict thingie. Perhaps someone else could help. Sorry unable to provide further assistance to this.

klaus2008
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I started with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t testing --reinstall install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome resolvconf avahi-autoipd modemmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info gnome-bluetooth nautilus-sendto gnome-user-share libmagickcore3-extra libparted0-dev libparted0-i18n tclreadline cryptsetup comgt
and got the following error message

Preparing to replace ppp 2.4.4rel-10.1 (using .../archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ppp ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/etc/chatscripts/gprs', which is also in package ppp-scripts-knoppix 0:0.6-2
My solution was to replace the old script with the new one.

sudo dpkg -i --force-confnew,overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -a --configure
There were no more errors. Therefore I restarted the Xserver by hitting the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in order to replace the running network manager applet

Not all of the packages are really needed but many of them were recommended. I cannot say whether /etc/chatscripts/gprs works since I do not use ppp.

I suggest that you test this with the live CD first.