PDA

View Full Version : Swap File Question???

theglump
10-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Hello

I've been researching Knoppix and have a question about the swap file.

Information seems to be sketchy and I can't quite figure out what the deal is with Knoppix and the swap. I sometimes use computers that don't belong to me. I don't want to leave a trace of any of my info in a swap file. As best as I can understand from reading, if a version of Linux is installed on the hard drive (of said computer) Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

1. Is this correct?

2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?

Thank you for your help
The Glump

kl522
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

1. Is this correct?

Yes.

2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?Use the knoppix cheatcode 'noswap'. Google around to find how to use a cheatcode.

theglump
10-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Would it be possible for someone in the know to tell users how to make a swap file on a Windows or Mac OSX box if they want to use one? Like I said above I don't want to use it but someone doing research that does want to may run across this thread because of the keywords in it. And I wouldn't mind knowing just in case. All I can find is what seems to be an old command of mkdosswapfile. I doubt that will work with newer versions of Windows. Thanks The Glump

Harry Kuhman
10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
The "newer versions of Windows" use a NTFS partition by default. I would absolutely never let Knoppix write to one of my NTFS partitions, and advise others to avoid trying to do this also. The risk of completely corrupting the partition is just too great.