PDA

View Full Version : A better CD encoder- you absolutely must try it.

rickenbacherus
06-10-2003, 08:36 PM
If you have never tried this amazing app out then I suggest you do so a.s.a.p.- you will impressed.

apt-get install abcde (you gotta love Debian)
abcde /dev/scd0 or /dev/scd1 you may also use /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd or whatever you like.
It will query the CDDB, retrieve any and all artist/album/track info it can find, allow you to select and even edit the results you'd like to use.

Let it go and watch the show.

It will create a directory Artist/AlbumTitle, rip all tracks from an audio disc in /dev/whatever to .wav format, convert the .wav files to .ogg and correctly ID3tag each .ogg while maintaining the correct album sequence. (You may have used other programs that are outsmarted by '01' and '11')- not so with abcde. It will also remove the .wav files leaving you with a very nicely formatted, ripped, converted and ID3tagged album! This app rocks hard and that's just the default behavior folks! As always....man abcde

aay
06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
rickenbacherus,

how would you compare this to grip? better or the same?

aay
06-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Never mind. I'm trying it myself now. Of course the main difference is that this is a command line program. Nice.

rickenbacherus
06-10-2003, 09:44 PM
It's true-I prefer the CLI. I use it to do anything and everything in regards to burning, ripping, copying, etc. What I liked most about abcde was 1)how hard is it to remember? 2)how much typing is there? 3)How many options do I have to remember? Of course the answers are not at all, very little, and none. It just couldn't be any easier. I keep a list of several examples using cdrecord, cdrdao, cdparanoia, etc. right by my machine for easy reference. I'd post it but I blatantly stole most of them from numerous places and would have no hope of crediting the authors with their explainations of the commands.

MorskNorsk
06-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Here's my little routine:
1. cdparanoia -vQ // Query CD-Rom for # of Tracks
2. cdparanoia -vzX -B -- "-??" // ?? is the # of Tracks
3. normalize -vb *.wav // Batch mode, verbose.
4. oggenc -b 256 *.wav // Encode at 256 kbps using managed bitrates
5. rm *.wav
6. easytag // Tag the ogg files.
7. chmod -w *.ogg // Make Read-Only.Guess I could make this into a script, but haven't gotten around to it. I've seen abcde on Freshmeat.net before. How configurable is it? If you need a good tagging / renaming program I highly recommend doing apt-get install easytag.