PDA

View Full Version : install knoppix --> windows partition vanishes!

Rockstar
06-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Pre knoppix installation days:

knoppix starts up, and i can access the windows partition on this drive (hda1) without any problems... i can get to all my files like my mp3s and such without any worry.

------------------------------------
I decide to install knoppix

knoppix starts up, the icon of my mounted windows partition on the desktop has vanished... i can no longer get to it unless im accessing it as the root.. ive tried SOOOO hard to change the permissions so i could access it as the user Knoppix but to no avail... please help?

ive looked everywhere, read this freakin linux book 20 times and hung around for hours in IRC channels...

Stephen
06-11-2003, 04:09 AM
Pre knoppix installation days:

knoppix starts up, and i can access the windows partition on this drive (hda1) without any problems... i can get to all my files like my mp3s and such without any worry.

------------------------------------
I decide to install knoppix

knoppix starts up, the icon of my mounted windows partition on the desktop has vanished... i can no longer get to it unless im accessing it as the root.. ive tried SOOOO hard to change the permissions so i could access it as the user Knoppix but to no avail... please help?

ive looked everywhere, read this freakin linux book 20 times and hung around for hours in IRC channels...

You will have to edit the file /etc/fstab as root in as console window ( the clam shell icon in the taskbar ).

Open the window then su then enter key and enter the root password. Then in the root console gvim /etc/fstab and enter to open the file for editing use the arrow key to move down the file to the line that starts with #/dev/hda1 and use the delete key to remove the # and save the file. You will now be able to right click on the desktop and create a link to the drive with create new -> hard drive use the /dev/hda1 for device in the device tab save the link and you will be able to access the drive.

Rockstar
06-11-2003, 05:43 AM
hmm, that worked awesome, it was a big step foreward at least... theres only one problem now... my knoppix user still doesnt have permissions, it says permission denied when i try to cd to the /mnt/hda1 directory. but when im in a console session as root it lets me navigate to there and view everything it it and such

how do i change these permissions?

Rockstar
06-11-2003, 05:46 AM
hmm, this is weird... if i open a console logged in as just knoppix right,... well i cant see anything inside /mnt/hda1 it says permission denied...

well if im in XMMS it can see all the files and folders inside /mnt/hda1 but it sees them ALL as files, even the folders... im confused

Stephen
06-11-2003, 07:41 AM
hmm, that worked awesome, it was a big step foreward at least... theres only one problem now... my knoppix user still doesnt have permissions, it says permission denied when i try to cd to the /mnt/hda1 directory. but when im in a console session as root it lets me navigate to there and view everything it it and such

how do i change these permissions?

Could you post the /dev/hda1 line so I can look at it?.

bongski55
06-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Stephen,

I have exactly the same problem. Too bad (or good?) since I now have Mandrake and I don't have this problem with it.

bongski55
06-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Solved.
Add 'umask=0 0 0 to the /dev/hda1 line in fstab.For example:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,rw,exec,umount=0 0 0

Reboot

mikeoak
07-08-2003, 04:05 PM
:oops:
Where the heck did etc/fstab go in the recent version of Knoppix? Have folders been rearranged?
It must be there since Knoppix boots fine....

horo
07-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi,

after HD install do as root:

rebuildfstab

and for every user (e.g. as user - knoppix):

mkdesktophdicons

Ciao Martin

mikeoak
07-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks Martin! I got my icons back and can access Windows just fine, but the weird thing is that fsab is not visible in etc. :)

mikeoak
07-08-2003, 06:41 PM
:oops: I see it now.... looking for a folder, but fstab shows up later as sort of a text looking image. Thanks!