PDA

View Full Version : FTP failures

bgristwo
06-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Background. I am trying to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS notebook disk. I am unable to boot from that disk.
Setup. I have 2 computers. 1 a notebook that can run Knoppix that can therefore access the corrupted NTFS disk. The other is running Red Hat 7.2. They are networked and I can ping, Html and FTP between them. The notebook is running the FTP client and the other runns wu-ftpd as an ftp server. I should be able to move the data from one to the other.
Problem. I can perform 1 transfer of 10Mb, sometimes 2. The FTP session then stops midway through having transferred perhaps 7Mb of data. It just stops sending. Network traffic goes to zero. There appear to be no error messages.
Alternatives. I have looked at scp but the configuration section looks really complicated. Samba, NFS. I don't know where to start. What other ways could I go? How can I get FTP to transfer more data/files without it stopping?
Advice from any gurus will be welcomed
Thanks

bgristwo
06-15-2003, 12:48 PM
I note no replies!!
However I have changed to using NFS instead which seems to be working

ktheking
06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Have you tried the new release from 06/06/2003 yet ?
Some important changes have been made in this release.....

aay
06-17-2003, 05:29 PM
I have looked at scp but the configuration section looks really complicated. Thanks

scp is sometimes a pain. But there is a way that you can transfer files with ssh using Konquorer with the use of kio_fish.

Assuming you have ssh running on the computer you need to grab the files from:

1. Open Konq and type the following in the url bar: fish://user@ip_address

2. Log in as that user.

3. Copy and paste the directories that you need to grab.

This is a pretty handy tool since it requires no prior setup unlike NFS and your transmissions are encrypted.