PDA

View Full Version : Copy recovery partition

manitislate
11-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

I have been trying to figure out how to copy my recovery partition from my old hard drive, on to another hard drive. I have Knoppix 6.2 on a dvd and both hard drives installed. I can see the hard drives, but when I go to erase one, it says that I can not write to the drive. I can't figure out how to make the drive read/write in 6.2.

Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, could I get some step by step instructions. I believe that I need to delete one drive, set up a partition to be the exact same size as the recovery partition, and copy.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

BoDiddley
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

I have been trying to figure out how to copy my recovery partition from my old hard drive, on to another hard drive. I have Knoppix 6.2 on a dvd and both hard drives installed. I can see the hard drives, but when I go to erase one, it says that I can not write to the drive. I can't figure out how to make the drive read/write in 6.2.

Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, could I get some step by step instructions. I believe that I need to delete one drive, set up a partition to be the exact same size as the recovery partition, and copy.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Try Parted Magics Live CD.

OErjan
11-28-2010, 10:23 AM
you may also try using dd to copy the partition.
dd is a POWERFULL tool, be careful when you use it, andthe other tool i will give is equaly powerful sudo.

sudo is often said to mean "super user do". the superuser is called root in Linux (actually most unix like OS, Linux BSD, minix...), he is administrator with almost godlike powers, he can do stuff not possible in windows without special programs, like making image of a partition with dd, just make CERTAIN it is the right partition and that you write the resulting image to correct place.

if you want image of first Sata partition on first drive to be stored om /home/knoppix you type

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/home/knoppix/partitionimage.img that will store an image in /home/knoppix with the name partitionimage.img
to put that in another partition you first create a partition of exact same size and type (for now let us say /dev/sda1 and hidden FAT32) using gparted or fdisk whatever you prefer.
that is then overwritten using dd with command

sudo dd if=/home/knoppix/partitionimage.img of=/dev/sda1you should now have same data on both partitions. how to make it bootable and such i do not know as it is an unknown system to me.

OErjan
11-28-2010, 11:05 AM
just so you know "if=" refers to input file and "of=" output file, in linux and other unixlike systems everything is a file even hardware like disks and even their partitions are files within files...

also please take care if you mix up I "if="and "of=" bad things happen, also if you write wrong path, say /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sdb1 wrong partition is overwritten, uhm, rather correct partition but on wrong disk.
in Linux /dev is where all "hardware" is represented and hd is Pata (IDE drives) and sd is SCSI or Sata drives. the letter after like in sda and sdb is merely what number the disk has in the chain and the number after that what partition.
if you want to know more ask.

oh, you can get much information on command-line linux on link below.
http://floppix.com/index.html
especially the labs, some information is slightly outdated, mainly paths and filenames and some device names, oh, and filesystem used, EXT2 is not much used for workstations or servers now.
commands as such are correct (and if not they show how to get help in a linux console).
command-line is about same as dos-prompt in windows just more powerfull and you can actually go surfing from it or send/recieve mail, I even do ICQ, Yahoo and Google messaging from CLI.