PDA

View Full Version : desktop environments in Knoppix 6.2.1

tcohoon
11-14-2010, 08:52 AM
I was wondering can anyone tell me if LXDE is the only desktop environment available by default for Knoppix 6.2.1?

I tried several cheat codes to change the environment but none of them seem to be recognized. ie: desktop=fluxbox, icewm, larswm, twm and gnoppix (seperately of course)

I am just interested in trying out different Graphical User Interfaces. I saw in one post that someone suggested using apt-get to get environments such as KDE or Gnome. Is there any problem with doing this? Is it possible to use Synaptic to get these environments?

I really like LXDE, but would like to see what some of my other options are. I am not real new to linux but am not exactly a guru either. Can anyone suggest some environments to try. I have seen KDE and Gnome in previous versions of Knoppix, but dont know how much they might have changed in the last couple of years.

As always thank you for your time and any advice you might give.

BoDiddley
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
CompizCofig Settings manager reflects Gnome capability under LXDE. I personally do not wan a GUI. I am using 6.2.1 HD install, the recommendations to not use this as an installed system are correct (be advised).

tcohoon
11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the answer and advice. Right now I just have it installed to a USB key and am using it that way. I have had Fedora Core actually installed in a dual boot system before but am trying to learn a little bit more about linux and thought that using knoppix on a USB key would not be a bad way of going about it.

ICPUG
11-19-2010, 06:36 PM
As can be read here:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix62-en.html

The CD version of Knoppix 6.2.1 has been drastically cut down and uses LXDE to speed up booting.

The DVD version includes KDE4 and Gnome.

It may well include others as well but I haven't checked - I'm happy with LXDE.

tcohoon
11-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I hadnt been able to find any documentation that would tell me. How do I go about switching them if I would like to? I tried the desktop= cheatcodes at the boot prompt and it didnt seem to recognize them.

ICPUG
11-21-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't have 6.2.1 but I have checked with 6.2 and 6.3 and the answer is as follows:

If you are using the live DVD when it boots up and the boot line appears at the bottom of the screen type the following (for e.g. gnome) and hit Enter (return)

knoppix desktop=gnome

Note: You have to include the word knoppix and there is no space between desktop and '=' and '=' and gnome

Having checked I can see that there are many more desktops than gnome and kde4 available. You can see all the options by reading the following file from the Knoppix DVD:

knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in the KNOPPIX directory

The boot proceeds as normal but the associated desktop appears.

tcohoon
11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
I was omitting knoppix when inputting the cheatcode. Thanks I will check this out when I get a chance. Thanks again.