PDA

View Full Version : The permissions for creation of a raid by the raid software linux in knoppix live CD

batwoman
11-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Hello everybody
I need to create a raid array using the software inside the Knoppix CD, called linux raid. When I try to run this a window open telling I have not the permissions to execute this operation. How can I solve this?
Please I need an urgent answer :(
Thank you

OErjan
11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
open a root console and type

sudo su
hit enter, you are now super administrator, in Linux known as root user.

now you type in the command from this console
Please be carefull, if you know how you have power to even destroy hardware by removing and/or altering firmware (prom on drives and BIOS to name two) not to mention files... so take care.

batwoman
11-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I know that to take root permissions I can tape "sudo su" and get priviledges, but I have never run the linux raid application from consolle. How can I do this.
In particular I have two disks that belong to a raid array 1 (mirror) that lost his partition and I have to recover data (file and folders) from it. They are in ext2 fs. They are fisically detected by knoppix disk utility but of course not logically.
Now, Inside the disk utility I have also the software raid in which disks are detected and I can read:
----------------------------------------------------------
Array name:0
Home host:-
Array size: 1,4 GB/1,3 GiB/.......... bytes
Array Type: Mirrored (Raid 1)
Components: 2 components (1500 GB each)
State: Not running
---------------------------------------------------

Ok this is the situation. I would like to run this raid array to take files and folders.

So the question is:
If I need authorizzation and cannot run application using windows but only using consolle, I get root priviledges with sudo command, and then? Which command I should use to run RAID software? And what are the parameters of this/these commands?

Any hints are welcome, Thank you in advance

batwoman
11-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I have noticed another element that can be important:
Running G-Parted and selecting one of the two disks, I can read "unollocated" and a warning simbol besides.
So I click on Information and this window appear:
----------------------------------------------------------
Warning:
Partition 1 isn't alligned to cylinder
boundaries. This is still unsupported.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can this be helpfull to solve my troubles