PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix as VirtualBox guest, changing resolutions

temp4746
11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
When I boot knoppix as a VirtualBox guest, it sets itself to a 1024x768 resolution and refuses to change, I tried the screen cheat code and it didn't work and editing xorg.conf and ctrl+alt+backspace didn't help (I hopefully edited it correctly)

Please help.

kl522
11-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Knoppix xorg.conf is script generated, /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx will start up the X window, calling /sbin/mkxorgconfig to generated the xorg.conf. Editing xorg.conf has no effect as it will be overwritten by mkxorgconfig. If you would like to use a custom xorg.conf, either you edit /sbin/mkxorgconfig or /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx, or you disable the said mechanism above. Whichever it is, after which you will have a customization of your own.

temp4746
11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I only want to force a specific resolution, It doesn't allow to change resolutions via X11.

I think this is because it decides to use fbdev, I can use the fbresxres cheat code but I wonder if it's possible to get other resolutions to, VirtualBox also allows to use vesa before you install the guest additions (I need it in LiveCD mode under this VM) but then seems to only allow 640x480 and 800x600.

kl522
11-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I think knoppix is using an "inferior" driver for displaying X under virtualbox.

I happen to have access to a distro which is tuned for virtualbox ( slitaz ), the said distro for virtualbox dynamically changes X resolution according to the size you have set for the virtualbox window in the host, this is similar in behaviour with a Windows XP running under virtualbox. I believe both of them are using the guest additions specifics.