PDA

View Full Version : Need help with knoppix iso to usb

neurodragon
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a Knoppix bootable stick, so I downloaded ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN , which is actually a rar file i think. I've extracted the rar , which I was expecting an iso file to pop out, but it seems it was just all the components that you would burn to a cd ?

I was trying to use the Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.1.5 which grabs the iso and makes a bootable stick. I'm stuck at the moment trying to find the right documentation to accomplish this task, but I'm hoping you linux experts can help me out ! heheh

thanks !!

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
You're dead wrong about it being a rar (turn off that damn "feature" in windows that hides file extensions), and you should never extract anything to make the disc. Follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the Downloading FAQ. Also, I doubt if you want the ADRIANE version, again, see the FAQ.

neurodragon
12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I think I've resolved the issue ..
I was going by these instructions > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-knoppix-6-to-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/
when using the installer, I selected the "knoppix 6.2.1 version" to install , it wouldn't see the actual .iso , but when I chose "other linux distribution" , the actual iso showed up to choose =)

neurodragon
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
thanks so much ! I was unable to locate that particular FAQ page, but that helps a lot in hindsight ... Could you recommend the best linux distribution for removing viruses and resolving other windows issues ? I guess the distro that has the best tools ... I have backtrack and was trying to see if any of the others would be good to have on a stick

thanks !

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
thanks so much ! I was unable to locate that particular FAQ page, ...
It should be there, but I make it a point to never provide the link directly. Otherwise a user just posts another question and waits until provided another link. Instead I tell people how to find what they need for themselves. But if you do find the FAQ your questions should be answered.

... Could you recommend the best linux distribution for removing viruses and resolving other windows issues ?
I don't believe in writing to NTFS with Linux, seen too many people completely roach their file system by doing that. So NO, I can't recommend any Linux distro for fixing Windows stuff. I use Linux to recover needed files, then reinstall from the Windows disc.

Backtrack is a decent security release, but not all that great for general Linux use. Puppy is good for USB use. Not as much comes installed but it supports adding stuff pretty well.

neurodragon
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Gotcha ;-)

I think I'm going to go with Knoppix v6.2 .. from what I've read it seems to be the best for now, and I'll probably grab puppy too heheh

thanks for the quick responses !
cheers