PDA

View Full Version : more apt-get Questions

killa
06-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Question 1).
Apt-get update ……does this update all software on pc or just updates source list.

Question 2).
Apt get install Xfee86 ..
will this install the newest version of Xfee86 video drivers?
After it is install are their any additional configuration that needs to be done.
(other than restart)

Question 3).
Can or does apt-get update or install newest kernal updates?
If show what is syntax?

rickenbacherus
06-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Question 1).
Apt-get update ……does this update all software on pc or just updates source list.

It updates the sources list only. It doesn not download or install anything.

Question 2).

Knoppix already uses the latest version of XFree86. As fas as what is installed with XFree86 I would suggest going to XFree86.org (http://www.xfree86.org) and reading all about it. You will already have DRI and the Mesa libraries installed. You of course may need other drivers.

After it is install are their any additional configuration that needs to be done.
(other than restart)

Maybe, maybe not- it's up to you. Most people aren't happy with their fonts. It's also likely that you will need to adjust your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Again -go read what XFree86.org has to say about tweaking and installing. They have alot of documentation.

Question 3).
Can or does apt-get update or install newest kernal updates?
If show what is syntax?

You can find complete documentation on apt-get here (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html)

There is also "the Debian way" of installing a new kernel here (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-kernel.en.html)

Stephen
06-11-2003, 07:39 PM

If you would like to know which package apt will install then apt-cache policy < package_name > will show you where the package will be installed from and the version.

killa
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
rickenbacherus & Stephen
thanks for the reply..........i will visit those links.....

I really think that Hd form of Knoppix should spinoff and make their own distro..... But i guess that would be pointless since it is just a Debain disro underneath....

thanks again for the intel :shock:

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
I really think that Hd form of Knoppix should spinoff and make their own distro..... But i guess that would be pointless since it is just a Debain disro underneath....

thanks again for the intel :shock:

Well actually............The biggest reason that Debian hasn't taken off like other distos is at least in part due to the fact that there is no easy way of installing Debian. Personally I use Knoppix/Debian on a daily basis and have spent a fair amount of time tweaking it into what I want it to be. Of course this is always part of the process no matter what OS you use. It seems that some people are overwhelmed by the sheer configurability of Linux- Knoppix provides a large majority of software already installed which is a great plus and automates many of the harder tasks surrounding OS installation.

Fabian Franz has reportedly developed a new install script that is supposed to be available with the DVD realease available only through LinuxTag. I'd love to see what it can do- presumably many of the requests made to the developers have been/will be implemented.

I have seen much improvement over the past few months. Klaus and Devs are releasing new versions at a very rapid rate. It's great to see so much effort being put into such a fantastic distro.

aay
06-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Fabian Franz has reportedly developed a new install script that is supposed to be available with the DVD realease available only through LinuxTag. I'd love to see what it can do- presumably many of the requests made to the developers have been/will be implemented.

Yeah, I'm pretty interested to see what this new installer will be like. Hopefully it will iron out some of the quirks with the current installer. Perhaps the issues you cite regarding the difficulty of installing Debian will be even better addressed in this new installer.

killa
06-12-2003, 06:18 PM
yep...I have tried to install Debian on my computer before and I do see why it's not that popular....

Although the Knoppix installer is not great I have found only a few things that need fixing.

- black/white (messed up colors during install)
- having to manually update fstab to show secondary had drive or partition
- manually configuration of boot loader
- some programs in k menu don’t work.

Knoppix has better installation....their is no need to specify individually modules

DVD-Rom offer much more space than normal CD
but DVD are much slower......why make knoppix for DVD?

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 07:11 PM
yep...I have tried to install Debian on my computer before and I do see why it's not that popular....

Although the Knoppix installer is not great I have found only a few things that need fixing.

- black/white (messed up colors during install)
- having to manually update fstab to show secondary had drive or partition
- manually configuration of boot loader

I suppose that if you have a dual boot then sure some bootloader configuration is necessary but you'd have to do that no matter what OS you use. If you haven't already- check out GRUB. It's worth your time to learn how to use it which is really quite simple.

- some programs in k menu don’t work.

Knoppix has better installation....their is no need to specify individually modules

DVD-Rom offer much more space than normal CD
but DVD are much slower......why make knoppix for DVD?

Sure DVD's can hold alot more but how many people have a DVD burner? Not many. Not me for sure.