PDA

View Full Version : How do I disable the voices?

ant
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi!

I was using KNOPPIX v6.2.1 live CD, but it had the annoying talkings/voices/speeches. How do I disable it since they make things slower on slow PCs? :(

Thank you in advance. :)

krishna.murphy
12-15-2010, 08:18 PM
You got the "Adrianne" version, I think. It's for visually impaired folks. Try typing this in at the command prompt at the start (big penguin still on screen):
knoppix

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

ant
12-15-2010, 08:54 PM
You got the "Adrianne" version, I think. It's for visually impaired folks. Try typing this in at the command prompt at the start (big penguin still on screen):
knoppix

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:Oops, I didn't know there were two versions of v6.2.1 live CD. :(

I tried your suggestion and it seems to work, but I don't get that text menu anymore. It takes me to X. Is that normal? How does the non-Adrianne version boot up?

krishna.murphy
12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
There are more, actually. DVD vs. CD and Adrianne vs. GUI gets us to 4, as a base , per version number. Then there are others, not so prominently available ("bigmem" memory model, etc.)

Cheers!

ant
12-15-2010, 09:08 PM
There are more, actually. DVD vs. CD and Adrianne vs. GUI gets us to 4, as a base , per version number. Then there are others, not so prominently available ("bigmem" memory model, etc.)

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:Hmm, I only saw two CD lSOs for v6.2.1 on the download web pages. Where was the DVD ISO and others?

krishna.murphy
12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Best way to get it is BitTorrent; check the Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/). Version, date, language, etc. - lots of variations to review and choose among.

Cheers!

ant
12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Best way to get it is BitTorrent; check the Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/). Version, date, language, etc. - lots of variations to review and choose among.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:Ah thanks. I was looking at KNOPPIX's official web site. I don't want to redownload again since I have a slow Internet connection.