PDA

View Full Version : (important) Virus scanning w/knoppix

SupahPenquin
12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi, my windows is currently unusable due to a virus, not even in safe mode, so I burned knoppix to my 700mb disk (I have another one inside too, I have two dvd drives) and I was told that there is a live installer for f-prot but not finding it anywhere. The screen looks like this.
ADRIANE
0 Press enter for help, arrow down for next menu
1 WWW
2 E-mail
3 Chat
4 SMS
5 Multimedia
6 Contacts
7 Notebook
8 Text Scanner
9 File Manager
10 Shell
11 Graphical Programs
12 Setup
13 Shutdown

Is it possible to get f-prot on the disk on my other drive?
Btw, im so far very impressed with the capabilities of knoppix, I can go on the internet and delete and move files and everything! Its awsome considering its running off a disk.

SupahPenquin
12-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Not seing an edit button anywhere... so, yeah im in the main os where I can browse all my files and play that game and use the applications and stuff but still nothing. Do you need to enter your internet information first and then does it come up or something?

Harry Kuhman
12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Talking to yourself?

Do you really want to be using the ADRIANE version? Most people do not.

From a lot of experience on this site watching others report major corruption after writing to NTFs partitions with Knoppix, I just don't believe it is safe at any time, and certainly not a good idea when trying to deal with other Windoes problems. My recommendation is always to use Knoppix (usually the non-ADRIANE version) to backup the files that you should have already backed up and then reinstall Windows from scratch.

SupahPenquin
12-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Ah, I see now. I want the 3rd one down from http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ right?

Harry Kuhman
12-18-2010, 05:31 PM
What you want I can't say. What I want when I download Knoppix from the torrents is the one without ADRIANE in the name, and the letters EN and not DE in the name.

My caution about writing to NTFS with Knoppix is the same no matter which version you select.

SupahPenquin
12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah... thing is last time I did a direct download from a mirror which didnt make it out as clearly as on the torrents list.
And about NTFS... I dont mind too much if it gets corrupted and I have to do a fresh install, i'm just checking out my options before I do.
I didnt have anything massively important on there.

Harry Kuhman
12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I had about 50% bad downloads from the mirrors before the torrents became available, and the torrents are much faster too.

One concern that I have about NTFS corruption is that sometimes it happens immediately (which would prevent the recovery of anything that you want), but sometimes it happens but isn't evident until days or weeks later. People think everything is fine, then suffer the loss of everything they could have salvaged and also any new work they did. My rule is still simply to not write to Windows NTFS partitions with Knoppix (FAT partitions are safe). I guess I might make an exception if I absolutely positively was going to reinstall immediately after even if it looked like no damage was done, but it just seems easier to recover what is desired with Knoppix and then wipe out the infected drive with a fresh install.

SupahPenquin
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
By the sounds of this, I think i'd better user a bootable antivirus to see if it can do anything about it then backup and fresh install as a last resort.
Thanks for you help, I dont think I need any more assistance :)