PDA

View Full Version : Live Knoppix 6.4.3, 3G UMTS USB modem missing during NetworkManager process?

nightcap
12-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Yes, I have browsed/read this forum to find a solution already provided. Thus far, I found zero apparent answers. Having live-loaded Knoppix 6.4.3, and anticipated that Network Manager would successfully enable wireless USB internet setup (Huawei E1762), as NetMan has done on most Ubuntu and Debian-based distros I've evaluated over the past 12 months on the same PC, I found no automatic detection of the "ttyUSB0" hardware during "edit connections" process. No doubt there are further scripts necessary. Anyone have a ready solution please? (IMHO these extra steps are unnecessary. An automated NetMan process is well and truly implemented elsewhere in Debian. A seemingly trivial issue dissuades potential new Knoppix users. A real shame. Knoppix deserves to be known and installed. I, for one, would like to make 6.4.3 "stick". In all other ways Dip.Ing.PhD. Klaus has created yet another benchmark Debian distro, no doubt. "Ausgezeichnet!")

matollik
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Internet was possible to have via:1) Preferences > GPRS/UMTS Connection or 2)by installing modemmanager with synaptic. Net connection I have has a 3G Nokia USB modem .
Edit: This Knoppix is version 6.2.1 but the first advice worked also with 6.4.3. Have not tried
whether modemmanager helps. I would suppose it does.
With cheers
Matti Ollikainen

nightcap
01-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Like setting up CHAP/PAP, APN, passwords (if any), roaming, service preference etc.......was yours "automagically" installed and fully operational? BTW I discovered a brief "how to 3G UMTS" for another German-based debian distro. Trust the poster doesn't mind his method being repeated here (edited for clarity) : ------------------- GPRS/UMTS/3G Of course you can use GUI tools like umtsmon (not in Debian, outdated), kppp (limited), umts-panel2 (no final release and not in Debian yet) or others. But all those depend on X running, which is not always desirable. Here is how to connect without them. Usb-modeswitch is not needed for all hardware, but does no harm if installed. First, install wvdial and usb-modeswitch: [CLI] apt-get update && apt-get install wvdial usb-modeswitch Now create a functional config file at /etc/wvdial.conf, using data from your provider. If initial config does not work, run wvdialconf as root in order to detect your modem, creating a viable wvdial.conf. You may edit it afterwards to your needs: [CLI] sudo wvdialconf This sample config file might suit a majority of 3G devices: [Dialer Defaults] Init1 = ATZ Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 Modem Type = Analog Modem Baud = 460800 New PPPD = yes Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0 ISDN = 0 [Dialer umts-pin] Init3 = AT+CPIN=1234 [Dialer umts] Dial Command = ATD Carrier Check = no Phone = *99# Password = guest Username = guest Stupid Mode = 1 Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orange.web" Dial Attempts = 2 If this config does not work for you, run wvdialconf as root in order to detect your modem, creating a viable wvdial.conf. You may edit it afterwards to your needs. Now unlock the SIM card: [CLI] wvdial umts-pin As security provided by 4-digit pin code is weak, you can disable pin code (place SIM card in phone - much easier), and avoid umts-pin step above. Then you might finally connect: [CLI] wvdial umts && ---------------------------- Anyone try this method yet? Or another simpler solution?

matollik
01-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Nokia modem my internet connection is set up with came with a configuration deb-package for Linux. It activates the modem and then accessing the net is possible via gprs/umts connection as described. However unlike in Kn6.2.1 the connection does not get enabled immediately but you have to wait a minute or so. Installing modemmanager was contrary to my expectation not helpful, internet was not possible via network manager as it was In Knoppix 6.2.1. The deb-package mentioned abobe was nokia-zerocd_0.4.-1_all.deb and I installed it with dpkg -i command from a root terminal. This cannot be applied to modems from other firms I guess. Matti Ollikainen

nightcap
01-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey Matti That's certainly a marketing plus for Nokia. I use a Huawei E1762 and it is OK once CrunchBang/PC manage to initialize and connect. It's far better than the previous Huawei E169 which I had to return to Virgin (what a stressful saga that turned out to be - now Virgin customer service finally admit their E169 was a total dog). Crunchbang and Mint developers seem to integrate 3G USB initialization into NetMan better than other distros. So it can (and should) be done, as there are now millions of 3G/UMTS Linux surfers.

matollik
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Hei again. I am also a 'Crunchbanger' and very pleased of how there internet is connected with ease and not just luck. I believe there's a combination of necessary programs that does the trick. Now finally, I have an internet set up by network manager program. I installed a list of programs mentiones by Klaus2008: Code: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -t testing --reinstall install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome resolvconf avahi-autoipd modemmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info gnome-bluetooth nautilus-sendto gnome-user-share libmagickcore3-extra libparted0-dev libparted0-i18n tclreadline cryptsetup comgt. Thread is at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28778-network-manager-0.8.1. There were no problems with the installing process. Then I unplugged the modem and plugged it back. Internet was then connected via network manager in the same way as in Ubuntu or Cb. I was lucky. Matti Ollikainen

nightcap
01-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks again, Matti. Will test that method on my laptop. BTW did you encounter any error messages like Klaus? Maybe the current debian repository packages are OK?

matollik
01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
No, there were not any error messages. I have uncommented experimental and unstable repositories for security's sake plus x2go unknown to me. This morning I repeated all as described and with success. My laptop is Compac nc6000 1500Hz 1.2 GB. Matti Ollikainen