PDA

View Full Version : Mounting an external USB disk

algebravic
12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm new to knoppix (but not to linux -- I've used it for years at work). I'm using knoppix to try to transfer files from a windows xp harddisk to an external usb disk (it's a WD 2TB USB 2.0 disk). When I plug the disk into the USB port it's recognized but it's R/O. I've read the FAQ's that talk about right clicking on the icon on the desktop -- but there is not icon on the desktop! I've tried unplugging and plugging in the usb but still no icon. I do get a window that asks me if I want to open it in the file manager. If I click (right or left it makes no difference) on the icon for the drive the only option I get is to unmount. Have things in knoppix changed since the FAQ and they weren't updated?

algebravic
12-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Here's some more data: I'm running knoppix 6.4. I just tried to plug in another external drive -- an IOMEGA 1TB which is formatted for a PC (probably NTFS, I'm not sure). Knoppix doesn't see that disk at all! I know that it's plugged in properly because it has a built in USB hub, and when I plug another harddisk into that (it's a small Seagate) Knoppix immediately mounts that as R/W. I'm really puzzled.