PDA

View Full Version : Announcement from Klaus - DVD Knoppix planned

Dave_Bechtel
06-12-2003, 07:45 AM
We are currently planning a DVD edition of Knoppix for LinuxTag 2003 (http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/index.html).

For this, I would like to know which software you would like to see on a "full featured" version. Uncompressed space available is about 6 GB (currently in use: 2.7 GB), so the compressed image will roughly need 2.2 GB of space on a 4.7 GB medium, if not too much data is already in compressed format.

The remaining of the DVD space will be used for the free conference papers, sponsor and multimedia stuff.

http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-June/003062.html

--Also, 2003-0606 will probably be the last version until LinuxTag 2003 happens.

aay
06-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Anyone know the dates for LinuxTag 2003? I can't seem to get into their website.

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Anyone seen where we can get the LinuxTag kit? I want that dvd.

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Anyone know the dates for LinuxTag 2003? I can't seem to get into their website.

July 10-13

eadz
06-12-2003, 05:10 PM
I asked Klaus about weather we can buy the DVD, and the answer was basicly no, you have to come. So I can't exactly travel to the other side of the world, but I would really like a DVD!

aay
06-12-2003, 05:15 PM
I asked Klaus about weather we can buy the DVD, and the answer was basicly no, you have to come. So I can't exactly travel to the other side of the world, but I would really like a DVD!

That sucks.

eadz
06-12-2003, 05:34 PM

That sucks.

Hmm just reading the email again, he says he doesn't know, and there may be leftovers that could be sold by resellers. I've sent an email to Linuxtag so they might be able to clarify.

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 05:55 PM
This DVD edition will be a one-time project and only be available
within the LinuxTag 2003 Kit (fee is used for funding the Free
Project booths on the exhibition), and not for download (maybe with
exceptions for betatesters with high bandwidth). Followup editions
of Knoppix after LinuxTag will still be standard 700MB CD images
(until virtually everyone can afford a DVD-writer and CD-Rom drives
have vanished completely).- Klaus Knopper

Can you only obtain the LinuxTag kit referenced above if you're at LinuxTag? I'll send some money!!

Dave_Bechtel
06-13-2003, 02:13 AM
--Yah; sorry guys, I was so excited I posted b4 reading the whole article. :(

This DVD edition will be a one-time project and only be available
within the LinuxTag 2003 Kit (fee is used for funding the Free
Project booths on the exhibition), and not for download (maybe with
exceptions for betatesters with high bandwidth). Followup editions
of Knoppix after LinuxTag will still be standard 700MB CD images
(until virtually everyone can afford a DVD-writer and CD-Rom drives
have vanished completely).- Klaus Knopper

Can you only obtain the LinuxTag kit referenced above if you're at LinuxTag? I'll send some money!!

paradocs
06-13-2003, 02:37 AM
Hello all,

That how promotionals work -- so we will have to wait.

But not to long, please. So why doesn't someone
with a really big hard drive start adding on the programs?

I miss the speech reading engine -- so don't
forget putting festival back in. That will be good
for a few megabytes.

But why not a KNOPPIX that mounts 2 CD's first?

Best Wishes
paradocs

rec9140
06-13-2003, 05:05 AM
From the debian-knoppix mailing list.

---------

To: debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
Subject: [debian-knoppix] LinuxTag 2003 DVD prerelease images available
Date sent: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:33:22 +0200

[ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]

...for those who have a DVD burner and really want to do some SERIOUS
betatesting. ;-)

The images (german and english, though the pressed DVD will default to
german) will be downloadable on ftp.uni-kl at a password-protected
directory for limited access. I have agreed with the ftp admins on this,
since the machine is already heavily overloaded with the downloads of
the standard CD edition of Knoppix.

So, if you have a DVD burner, and are not afraid to download a
(currently) 1.5GB image, please send a mail containing
"KNOPPIX LT03 DVD BETATEST" to me directly, and I will reply with the
download location and password as soon as possible.

Status: Most of the software that was recommended through this list has
been included. The current list of packages is available at
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt

Still a lot of work to do.

The bootscreen/HTML-help graphics and and embedded version numbers are
mostly unchanged yet, please do not report this as a bug. ;-)

Most important is to check if all installed packages work correctly,
or changes are required in the writable areas/configuration files.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper
--
Klaus Knopper Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371 Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo Where .com meets .org

rickenbacherus
06-13-2003, 02:03 PM
I'm not afraid to dl a 1.5G image- no problems there BUT I don't have a DVD burner. I could go buy one........and be summarily executed by the wife on my return........or...hope that another avenue appears. (hint-hint). :)

rec9140
06-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm not afraid to dl a 1.5G image- no problems there BUT I don't have a DVD burner. I could go buy one........and be summarily executed by the wife on my return........or...hope that another avenue appears. (hint-hint). :)

I too am hoping that a way to purchase the LinuxTAG 2003 Kit WITH the DVD comes about.

Although I am starting to think that the only way those of us who don't attend will not be getting the DVD unless some kind soul who does go finds a way to duplicate it and sell it via one of the CD distribs.

I personally have no problem in LinuxTAG getting some $$$$$ to support them, cover the cost of the DVD, and cost of mailing it to the US.

We need to let LinuxTAG know of our interest, and that no every one can travel to Germany for the conference/show.

I email'd LinuxTAG @ info@linuxtag.org but have received no response.

monkeyman
06-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Gotta give Klaus credit for keeping interest high. Everyone, including myself, waits with baited breath for LinuxTAG to be over so we can lay hands on the newest toy. :mrgreen:

rickenbacherus
06-13-2003, 09:36 PM
From the mailing list:

>>Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] LinuxTag 2003 DVD prerelease
images available
>>
>>
>> >>From: Conrad Newton <conrad.newton@broadpark.no>

>> >>Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] LinuxTag 2003 DVD
prerelease images available
>> >>
>> >>Do you really need a DVD burner? Can you not mount
the image,
>> >>and copy KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX to the hard disk, as with
the CD image?
>>
>>How about using VMware?
>>I will try after download.
>>
>>------
>>suzaki

Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] LinuxTag 2003 DVD prerelease images
available

I succeeded booting KNOPPIX-DVD on vmware 3.2 using virtual
DVD-ROM(iso image).

------
suzaki

eriixblaike
06-14-2003, 07:05 PM
People can mirror the DVD images. I would gladly mirror them. I could even break the image into small files and use a .jigdo file to allow people to collect the files and recreate the original bit-for-bit (as Debian does with their images) for easier downloading. That wouldn't be neccessary, of course, but I could. I may have a lowly DSL connection, but it is unmetered (aside from the bandwidth cap) and I have a static DNS address to counter my dynamic IP address. Machines with unmetered internet connections and Apache make a great combination. I'm also confident that I am not the only one who would be glad to help. I'd also be willing to mirror selected CD images (I only carry the EN versions right now and that'll probably continue).

SUOrangeman
06-16-2003, 03:18 AM
I pulled the "-EN" DVD image this morning. Everything looks good. Thanks to Klaus for the quick response!

Before I start spewing my comments, concerns, and questions all over the place, is there already a web site where beta testers can discuss their findings thus far? I've noticed a few minor things, but I don't want to fill up the bug queue if someone has already noticed the same behavior. Klaus's message only indicated that I should report issues to him.

As a teaser, I don't have a DVD burner nor a floppy drive (and I don't boot many non-Windows CDs without problems), yet I've gotten this beta up and running. Dual Athlon MP 2400+. Promise Ultra100TX2 with 3 hard drives (only one is detected by KNOPPIX), Dual-DVI GF4 Ti4600, Santa Cruz, STB TV PCI, blahblahblah ...

As far as mirroring with jigdo, I don't think its going to work. The last time I used jigdo (0.86, I think ... to download the Debian 3.0r0 DVD and CD images), it recreates ISOs file-by-file. Since the key to KNOPPIX is one huge image file inside of the ISO, it would be nearly pointless to use jigdo.

-SUO

eriixblaike
06-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Mirroring Knoppix using jigdo works fine. I take the Knoppix .iso and use the UN*X split program to break the image into a managable size (I use split set to add a 5 digit index to created filenames and make all files 1M in size), then put those files in a shared directory with the .jigdo and .template files they require and allow the downloads to begin. The repetitive md5 sum recalculation at all steps along the path of the jigdo download (including the final check at the end) make it well worth it for people with less than reliable connections and it would allow download of chunks from different servers if someone didn't want to mirror the whole image by themself. I've been providing jigdo versions of the knoppix images for friends off my computer for some time now. It really does work rather well.

Dave_Bechtel
06-16-2003, 04:45 AM
--I'm booting the iso with VMware 3. Only issues noticed so far are with the GNOME menus, and knx-hdinstall goes over 160% when copying files. ;-)

--I have to say that the DVD is pretty impressive. I installed to a 4-gig VMware drive partitioned like so:

1 200MB swap
2 8MB /boot (1 cylinder)
3 3,887,604MB /

--When installing with Reiserfs, there is about 17MB free. ' apt-get remove --purge emacs* ' saves 150MB right off the bat. :)

SUOrangeman, how did you boot the iso? I've been thinking of dd'ing it directly to a partition and activating the boot flag on it, but don't yet have the space to experiment w/o vmware.

I pulled the "-EN" DVD image this morning. Everything looks good. Thanks to Klaus for the quick response!

Before I start spewing my comments, concerns, and questions all over the place, is there already a web site where beta testers can discuss their findings thus far? I've noticed a few minor things, but I don't want to fill up the bug queue if someone has already noticed the same behavior. Klaus's message only indicated that I should report issues to him.

As a teaser, I don't have a DVD burner nor a floppy drive (and I don't boot many non-Windows CDs without problems), yet I've gotten this beta up and running.
-SUO

thewalkingman
06-16-2003, 07:42 AM
sigh

I so want this dvd

SUOrangeman
06-16-2003, 12:24 PM
OK, I understand how jigdo can help now. For some reason, I was only thinking of keeping the original files intact.

My booting scheme may be rather complicated. By not having a burner nor a floppy, I extract the ISO's /KNOPPIX directory to some partition onto my main hard drive (/dev/hde ... using the Promise Ultra100TX2). I just so happen to run six different OSes from that hard drive, so the way I've laid out my partitions isn't the best for what I've done.

So, with a second hard drive (/dev/hdg), I've created a 1-cylinder (8MB) Linux ext2 partition. I dump the boot.img file (via dd) directly onto that partition and made it active. I set my PC's BIOS to boot the second hard drive, I get the KNOPPIX boot screen and it finds the extracted directory on /dev/hde.

One ?bug? I've noticed is that even though I can "boot the boot floppy image" from /dev/hdg, it cannot find the extracted /KNOPPIX directory on /dev/hdg nor /dev/hdh (again, all hard drives are connected to Ultra100TX2 ... only Zip250 and CD drives are on the motherboards main IDE ports). Later in the boot process, I think I see two identical errors about "major-block-device-2" or something very similar. I have a feeling that error is related to the two hard drives /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh. I cannot even use those drives once KNOPPIX is fully loaded. Maybe Klaus set a limit of 5 or 6 devices, and only allows the use of /dev/hde and /dev/hdf. It's not a huge problem, but something worth noting nonetheless.

I too noticed the knx-hdinstall "bug". Did you still get 100% filesystem full errors with a 4GB partition? I tried with ext3 and it still ran out of space. I'll try the other formats later.

The other minor detail I notices was the KDE KNOPPIX splash screen. It still refers to KNOPPIX 3.2 whereas the new background image clearly indicates a new version number. :)

thewalkingman, all I did was e-mail Klaus per one of the previous messages and he sent me the website credentials.

-SUO

Dave_Bechtel
06-16-2003, 03:27 PM
--Your Promise card may not be fully supported directly under Linux, but that's just a guess. That might be why it can't find the knoppix dir on hdg/hdh drives. (I got lucky using an older Ultra ATA/66 card; my root is on hde, like yours; but I have to boot from a floppy. Then again, it's a P-1 233MHz with an older BIOS.)

--Consider though, both of our setups are well out of the ordinary. Most systems boot from hda/b/c/d. Booting from hde is stretching it, and g/h are probably not really even considered. (Perhaps Klaus's "detect" script for scanning devices at bootup doesn't go that far.) If you move the drives off the Promise to your motherboard, I bet everything will work, albeit a bit slower. If I could disable my moboard IDE entirely, I would - then it would see the PCI card as hda/b/c/d.

> Did you still get 100% filesystem full errors with a 4GB partition? I tried with ext3 and it still ran out of space. I'll try the other formats later.

--No, I was at 99% full with ~17MB of free space. I suspect that not running out of space was due to Reiserfs having "tail" handling turned on by default, which saves space by packing small files and "tail ends" together instead of wasting blocks. :) Reiserfs rocks. I use it pretty much exclusively.

--BTW, *why* don't you have a floppy? I still find them indispensable, especially for Linux. But sometimes ya still need to boot that Win98 disk...

OK, I understand how jigdo can help now. For some reason, I was only thinking of keeping the original files intact.

My booting scheme may be rather complicated. By not having a burner nor a floppy, I extract the ISO's /KNOPPIX directory to some partition onto my main hard drive (/dev/hde ... using the Promise Ultra100TX2). I just so happen to run six different OSes from that hard drive, so the way I've laid out my partitions isn't the best for what I've done.

So, with a second hard drive (/dev/hdg), I've created a 1-cylinder (8MB) Linux ext2 partition. I dump the boot.img file (via dd) directly onto that partition and made it active. I set my PC's BIOS to boot the second hard drive, I get the KNOPPIX boot screen and it finds the extracted directory on /dev/hde.

One ?bug? I've noticed is that even though I can "boot the boot floppy image" from /dev/hdg, it cannot find the extracted /KNOPPIX directory on /dev/hdg nor /dev/hdh (again, all hard drives are connected to Ultra100TX2 ... only Zip250 and CD drives are on the motherboards main IDE ports). Later in the boot process, I think I see two identical errors about "major-block-device-2" or something very similar. I have a feeling that error is related to the two hard drives /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh. I cannot even use those drives once KNOPPIX is fully loaded. Maybe Klaus set a limit of 5 or 6 devices, and only allows the use of /dev/hde and /dev/hdf. It's not a huge problem, but something worth noting nonetheless.

I too noticed the knx-hdinstall "bug". Did you still get 100% filesystem full errors with a 4GB partition? I tried with ext3 and it still ran out of space. I'll try the other formats later.

The other minor detail I notices was the KDE KNOPPIX splash screen. It still refers to KNOPPIX 3.2 whereas the new background image clearly indicates a new version number. :)

thewalkingman, all I did was e-mail Klaus per one of the previous messages and he sent me the website credentials.

-SUO

rickenbacherus
06-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Reiserfs rocks. I use it pretty much exclusively.

Same here (except for my /boot which is ext2).

--BTW, *why* don't you have a floppy? I still find them indispensable, especially for Linux. But sometimes ya still need to boot that Win98 disk...

They couldn't pry my floppy drive from my cold dead fingers. That drive is just too handy to give up.

AND- you can download a jigdo from more than one mirror at a time.

SUOrangeman
06-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Floppy? What's that?

With the advent of the bootable CD and floppy boot images, I have managed to live without a floppy for over a year now. OK, maybe I had to borrow a USB floppy drive once or twice for some twisted OS (maybe a BeOS or BSD-like release). However, every flavor of Windows and nearly every Linux distro can boot just fine from CD (again, even if I have to use a bootable floppy image). Oh yeah, I do keep a small (say, 50MB) bootable DOS partition on a second hard drive. So, I still have access to goodies like Ghost, PartitionMagic, Ranish, etc. I'll occasionally boot ZipSlack and KNOPPIX from the DOS command line.

I will admit, however, if I can find an LS-120/240 IDE drive for cheap ($20), I'd buy it in a hearbeat! :) It would be a nice complement to my Zip250 IDE drive which as trouble booting *my* system.

It's time for legacy components to really disappear. I'd exclusively use USB for *external* devices if every OS I try properly supported it. And this is with a platform (AMD's second SMP Athlon chipset ... ?762?) which has well-documented problems with USB.

Anyway, ...

I may have run into a (hardware) problem with the DVD. In trying to install to the hard drive via knx-hdinstall onto a 4GB partition, ...

... using reiserfs seems to stall exactly at "41%." All of the processes seem to go to "you-know-where" in a hand basket. The disk LED is active the entire time, but everything else freezes

... using xfs stalls a "1%" with the same behavior as bove.

My prior attempts to use ext3 seemed to fail because of disk space. I'll have to give it one more try before I start drawing conclusions. I'm hoping that this WD1200JB is not the problem. But I am sure as heck gonna make sure my backups are up-to-date.

-SUO

Dave_Bechtel
06-17-2003, 02:38 PM
--Do you have a swap partition enabled, and are you installing from runlevel 2 (knoppix 2)? You really don't need the GUI overhead while installing... Also try running badblocks on the suspect partition.

I may have run into a (hardware) problem with the DVD. In trying to install to the hard drive via knx-hdinstall onto a 4GB partition, ...

... using reiserfs seems to stall exactly at "41%." All of the processes seem to go to "you-know-where" in a hand basket. The disk LED is active the entire time, but everything else freezes

... using xfs stalls a "1%" with the same behavior as bove.

My prior attempts to use ext3 seemed to fail because of disk space. I'll have to give it one more try before I start drawing conclusions. I'm hoping that this WD1200JB is not the problem. But I am sure as heck gonna make sure my backups are up-to-date.

-SUO

Dave_Bechtel
06-17-2003, 02:49 PM
--Well, you can send an email to Klaus and be part of the beta testing... Pity the boot splash-screen says "Not for distribution" or it would probably be on BitTorrent by now. Klaus's efforts command respect.

--Anyway, all those who are testing the DVD may want to consider this script that I use to trim things down a bit (I highly recommend you peruse it carefully before running, as it deletes packages that you may want to keep.)

(Don't forget to chmod +x it, and run as root of course. Also as you probably know, this will only work after knx-hdinstall and reboot.) If you have trouble running it, let me know; I tried a new thing with multiple packages per 'deldeb' entry.

#BEGIN knx-freshinstall-purgedebs-dvd
#!/bin/bash

# Use: freshinstall |tee -a ~/freshinstall.log

function deldeb
{
echo " --- Deleting: $*"
apt-get remove --purge --assume-yes $*
}

# Get rid of DVD Knoppix pkgs we don't need
deldeb emacs*
deldeb ant-phone
deldeb aspell-es aspell-de
#deldeb aspell-de

deldeb billard-gl
deldeb blas blas-dev
#deldeb blas-dev

deldeb dia dia-common
#deldeb dia-common

deldeb drgenius

deldeb dx dx-*
#deldeb dx-*
# 66M

deldeb euler
deldeb evolver

deldeb fftw2
# 110MB!!

deldeb gap gap-*
# 64.5M

deldeb geomview

deldeb gimp1.*
# 23.6M

deldeb ggobi
deldeb gstreamer*
# 10M

deldeb lapack*
deldeb maxima*
# 23.8M

deldeb mrproject
deldeb omniorb*
deldeb rasmol

deldeb scigraphica*
deldeb texmacs*
# 11.7M

deldeb umbrello
# 3.7M, undocumented, no descript(?)

deldeb yacas

sigh

I so want this dvd

SUOrangeman
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
I still cannot get through knx-hdinstall.

I now have a 2GB swap partition, and a 4.5GB volume. I let the script run overnight and the disk was still spinning this morning (1% copied).

I see no problems with the disk in FreeBSD 5 nor WinXP. I think I've even booted Win2K (all are installed on separate partitions on this on 120GB drive. I've also got Win2K3 and BeOS MAX 2.1 installed. I temporarily took off WInME to make more room for KNOPPIX).

I'll go through each filesystem format (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs) with knx-hdinstall the next time I have a free moment.

-SUO

Dave_Bechtel
06-19-2003, 03:37 PM
--I had some weird hangup happen when installing on my Dell laptop P166 with a 20-gig HD... I ended up hitting Alt-Sysrq-S to sync the drive, and it continued. But I had to keep an eye on "top" running in a different VT to see when it hung, and had to sync a bunch of times. Maybe something to do with DMA/hdparm settings, I dunno.

--Try doing a Sysrq sync when it hangs; if that doesn't work, move everything to the motherboard IDE controllers temporarily and see if that does the job. (You can always reboot into the cd and change fstab on the install after moving everything back.)

--BTW, you probably don't need more than 256Meg of swap unless you want to save the machine state if it crashes.

I still cannot get through knx-hdinstall.

I now have a 2GB swap partition, and a 4.5GB volume. I let the script run overnight and the disk was still spinning this morning (1% copied).

I see no problems with the disk in FreeBSD 5 nor WinXP. I think I've even booted Win2K (all are installed on separate partitions on this on 120GB drive. I've also got Win2K3 and BeOS MAX 2.1 installed. I temporarily took off WInME to make more room for KNOPPIX).

I'll go through each filesystem format (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs) with knx-hdinstall the next time I have a free moment.

-SUO

A. Jorge Garcia
06-19-2003, 04:54 PM
OK, this DVD can be booted like the CD version right? Is it very slow to run this way? I suppose knx-hdinstall is the way to go. Is this DVD-KNOPPIX mainly for hdinstalling?

Can one run it off the DVD and even write (ie:save) data to it too? There was some talk about this with DVD-RW. They really should implement a CD-RW or DVD-RW protocol so you can use CD-Rs or DVD-Rs just like a floppy.

Regards,

guidonte
06-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

I don't know whether this is the best place to submit my request for new software for Dvd-Knoppix, but at present I have really too little time to search a better way and I'd really like to propose these programs:

- Lilypond: it is _THE_ Free Music Typesetter for all sorts of musicians: it is text-based - and TeX-based! - and requires Guile, the GNU Scheme implementation
- MusiXTeX: the name should me self-explanatory...
- Noteedit: this is a graphical music notation editor that acts as a front-ent for Lilypond, MusiXTeX and ABC

Before greeting all, I'd like to thank very very much Klaus and all people helping him: Knoppix is really great!!
And I hope it will be possible to purchase the Dvd-Edition on line: I'd sure buy it!

Thank you again!
Bye,
Guido

paradocs
06-20-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi Knoppixer
Hi Knoppixinnen

I am frustrated. I can't find anyone arround my area
with a DVD burner yet! I have the .iso and will have
to drive to a city to get a disk made.

If I buy a DVD burner will it make data disks
as easily as a CD burner? What program will work?

All I can do now is dream of going to Linux Tag.
Here is a link to KNOPPIX at LinuxTag.

http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/de/conferences/talk.xsp?id=59

Best Wishes,
paradocs

aay
06-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Hmm.

Doing "dpkg -l *dvd* |less" in Knoppix I get the following.

ii dvd+rw-tools 5.5.4.3.4-2 DVD+RW/+R tools
un dvdplusrw <none> (no description available)
ii dvdrecord 0.1.4-1 A tool for writing DVD's and CD's

I have no idea if the syntax for these tools are like cdrecord (since I don't have a dvd burner either). You can look in the man pages for these tools or google for info on the web.

SUOrangeman
06-20-2003, 07:29 PM
paradocs-

mount -o loop dvd.iso /tmp/dvdiso

cp -R /tmp/dvdiso/KNOPPIX / (root of any partition)

dd if=/tmp/dvdiso/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

boot with the floppy and it should find the DVD files ... all without burning the DVD. Works well with CD images as well.

-SUO, no DVD burner here either

paradocs
06-21-2003, 04:35 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for the good information.
Hopefully I will catch up before KNOPPIX
comes out on a "blue laser disk",
27 or even 54 gigs per side. :D

Best Wishes
paradocs

Dave_Bechtel
06-21-2003, 09:52 AM
--I really think the blue-laser discs should be protected at all times somehow, like in a cartridge. The more dense the bits get, the bigger chance of an error if the media gets scratched.

Hello all,

Thanks for the good information.
Hopefully I will catch up before KNOPPIX
comes out on a "blue laser disk",
27 or even 54 gigs per side. :D

Best Wishes
paradocs

Dave_Bechtel
06-21-2003, 08:59 PM
--FYI, the new beta is out on the FTP site; check it out if you're involved with the Beta testing and have the email from Klaus.

SUOrangeman
06-25-2003, 04:00 AM
I pulled the new DVD ISO and was able to complete knx-hdinstall. A few more "ups" and, surprisingly, some new "downs:"

The KNOPPIX boot process detects all of my hard drives now ... up to /dev/hdh

However, no USB devices were detected and activated. Since I only have a USB mouse, this is very debilitating. Was the default USB detection removed (or must be explicitly specified now)?

As I mentioned, I was able to complete knx-hdinstall. The main copying progressbar is still based on 2100MB of files, so the progress approaches 200% before it is done. I also kept getting APIC errors from my two CPUs during the install.

Unfortunately, the lack of USB carried over to the HD install. So, I've got some tweaking to do.

-SUO

Mgz
06-25-2003, 04:20 AM
just buy a DVD-RW from big-player @ localstore, after 15-30days return it for FULL refund :lol:

Dave_Bechtel
06-25-2003, 10:25 PM
--Note, the DVD beta test is now over. Keep that last iso around guys, one day it may be a collector's item. :lol:

bleckie
07-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi,

I certainly want to buy the Knoppix-DVD. However, I could not find any reference or information on how to buy. Three other persons expressed their serious interest to buy the Knoppix DVD (not simply copying) to support the project as well! When and where will it be avaialble?????

Please keep me updated!

Sunny Regards,

Bleckie

Stephen
07-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I certainly want to buy the Knoppix-DVD. However, I could not find any reference or information on how to buy. Three other persons expressed their serious interest to buy the Knoppix DVD (not simply copying) to support the project as well! When and where will it be avaialble?????

Please keep me updated!

Sunny Regards,

Bleckie

You may want to contact the individual refered to in the post by Michael in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3158).

ivato
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi,

for Information.

You can purchase the Knoppix DVD at www.lob.de
Follow the Link 'Linux/BSD' on the right side.
Select 'Linuxtag 2003 & Debian Bundle '
and then 'Add to Cart'

c ya

rec9140
07-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi,
You can purchase the Knoppix DVD at www.lob.de
Follow the Link 'Linux/BSD' on the right side.
Select 'Linuxtag 2003 & Debian Bundle '
and then 'Add to Cart'

IS this the ONLY source, no other distbributors?? None in the US/North America signed up?

Thats fine, just impatient more than any thing. And want to get the DVD ordered before they all disappear.

FYI based on currency markets as of 7/2/03:

Knoppix DVD @ E/16.95 = US$19.52/ @ 1 EUR = US$1.15162

Shipping will be either Post (SLOW sent via swimming camel or similar) US$5.76 or US$14.98 for Airmail.

Sergio1704
07-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Come on, Kids, first you were weeping because you wanted oh soooo much that DVD, and now you weeping because it is so expensive! I just ordered mine. Or do you think that going to Germany would have been cheaper? :lol:

Sergio1704
07-02-2003, 06:21 PM
And by the way, it is much more than just a DVD, but I suspect that the documentation might be in German, as was everything during and after my transaction... :lol:

rec9140
07-03-2003, 05:00 AM
Come on, Kids, first you were weeping because you wanted oh soooo much that DVD, and now you weeping because it is so expensive!

NO where did it mention "expense" as a factor. I specifically mentioned :

Thats fine, just impatient more than any thing. And want to get the DVD ordered before they all disappear.

TIME in shipping from Europe v. shipping time from a US/North American distributor. And a desire to deterime if any US based distributors have signed up. Simple, end of question.

At NO time was or IS expense a factor. The costs listed were for reference based on the currecny figures for 7/2/03 for reference to US currency.

Sergio1704
07-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Ok, sorry, I was only joking!
Time shouldn't be very much of a factor, because if you choose airmail it
should be very fast anyway. But this is kind of a preorder, because at their website they say that it'll be available in next few days. :)

fdupre
07-14-2003, 10:27 PM
i'm very interested in obtaining the 'linuxtag kit' or just the dvd, regardless of price :wink: please provide necessary contact info, thanks BTW just joined your forum, fantastic distro :!:

Sergio1704
07-14-2003, 11:55 PM
i'm very interested in obtaining the 'linuxtag kit' or just the dvd, regardless of price :wink: please provide necessary contact info, thanks BTW just joined your forum, fantastic distro :!:

Just read the post by ivato on july 02 on this same thread.
Only possible disadvantage: at Lehmanns they use only German.

Sergio1704
07-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Or else in the other thread (possible purchase of DVD) the user 'blixblix' is selling two copies at Ebay. This could be a cheaper option than buying them from Lehmanns

Sergio1704
07-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Where did the BIG interest for the new toy go? Have you all found already new toys to play with? I can see hardly any new posts on these threads, and for the 2 DVDs being offered at Ebay there have been only 6 bids, 2 being mine, and therefore not counting, because I also ordered it from Lehmanns :lol:

rec9140
07-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Where did the BIG interest for the new toy go? Have you all found already new toys to play with? I can see hardly any new posts on these threads, because I also ordered it from Lehmanns :lol:

I ordered mine from Lehmanns and am waiting for it to arrive. There is already one known bug with the DVD:

To: debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] Linuxtag DVD: /var/lib/dpkg/status
Date sent: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:19:25 +0200

[ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]

Hi Georg,

Sorry, some files on the DVD are broken because of an 4GB (32bit
pointer) limit in cloop. Most things work, but the dpkg package list and
some files in /usr/src contain invalid data.

I already mentioned it in my talk, and will put the corresponding files
on the mirror sites for download soon.

I'm rewriting cloop for 64bit pointers now. Of course it will not be
backwards compatible that way.

Reards
-Klaus Knopper

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:38:07AM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I've got the Linuxtag DVD and wanted to know which packages are
> installed:
>
> $ dpkg -l
> dpkg-query: Fehler beim Parsen, in Datei >>/var/lib/dpkg/status<<
> nahe Zeile 1:
> MS-DOS-EOF (^2) im Feldnamen >>f<<
>
> $ file /var/lib/dpkg/status
> /var/lib/dpkg/status: data
>
> Shouldn't this be "ASCII English text" (like on my Debian Woody)?
>
> Gruß, Georg
> _______________________________________________

yasar
07-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Sorry, some files on the DVD are broken because of an 4GB (32bit
pointer) limit in cloop. Most things work, but the dpkg package list and

I'm rewriting cloop for 64bit pointers now. Of course it will not be
backwards compatible that way.

Reards
-Klaus Knopper

Hi,

is there a way to repair these files or is there a list out there, which files ar currupt?

regards,

yasar

rec9140
07-22-2003, 03:21 PM
is there a way to repair these files or is there a list out there, which files ar currupt?

things work, but the dpkg package list and

These are the files affected, no list posted. This will effect determine what is installed.

To repair you will need to DL from one of the FTP sites the corrected files.