PDA

View Full Version : 6.4.3 CD from iso

benny59
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I built a 1GB to boot Knoppix by grub4dos:

- creating a new fs with mkdosfs -n KNOPPIX -F 32
- copying the iso file to KNX.iso to avoid fragmentation, same name as cheatcode example.
- installing grub4dos with bootlace.com /dev/sdb
- copying grldr
- extracting from iso linux and initrd.gz to start the boot process

- creating menu.lst
my menu.lst contains only one entry:
title KNOPPIX CD LXDE
root (hd0,0)
kernel /linux bootfrom=/dev/sda1/KNX.iso ramdisk_size=100000 lang=it vt.default_utf8=0
initrd /minirt.gz

firing the usb drive I can see the boot process starting successfully, but after a while the screen become black and the system hangs.

I know I could extract the iso to the KNOPPIX folder to make it working, but I'd like to keep the iso file handy to create new cd or usb for friends.
So I wish some help to make bootfrom= working

I also noticed than on the CD version there is no create persistent img, someone can help on how I can create such an image ?

thanks in advance
benny

Forester
02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Benny,

It always seem such a shame when someone asks for help and gets none but really you have to think more carefully about how to ask in a way that people reading your post will understand.

You should always start by stating which version of Knoppix you are using.

I also noticed than on the CD version there is no create persistent img, someone can help on how I can create such an image ?
As far as I can tell, you cannot create a persistent image using Knoppix 6 running from CD/DVD. This is certainly true for 6.4.3.

So I wish some help to make bootfrom= workingThis has been discussed recently on the forums. It seems this cheatcode bootfrom= is not supported any more. See if http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29056-bootfrom-cheatcode-doesn-t-work-so-use-tohd-and-fromhd-cheatcodes-instead is of any use to you.

I understand very little of the rest of your post. I don't know grub4dos.

I infer that when you boot the CD the screen does not go blank but when you boot from the USB it does. At a guess, you are not using the right cheat code. Try adding video=vga16fb:off to your boot line. If that does not work, consult the cheat code txt file in the KNOPPIX directory on the CD or search the forms for "blank screen".

Ciao

benny59
02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Benny,

It always seem such a shame when someone asks for help and gets none but really you have to think more carefully about how to ask in a way that people reading your post will understand.

You should always start by stating which version of Knoppix you are using.

It's on the thread title

As far as I can tell, you cannot create a persistent image using Knoppix 6 running from CD/DVD. This is certainly true for 6.4.3.

Sorry I did not find it on LXDE menu. Can you tell me the path ? (even in terminal mode)

This has been discussed recently on the forums. It seems this cheatcode bootfrom= is not supported any more. See if http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29056-bootfrom-cheatcode-doesn-t-work-so-use-tohd-and-fromhd-cheatcodes-instead is of any use to you.
Piety: I have been following Knoppix since its beginning. It has been the very innovative concept of LIVE CD. But nowadays CDs and DVDs are over and many distributions can be loaded on a USB drive (other than CDs and DVD) and multiboot is also popular. So I am a little disappointed that this cheatcode is not supported. It was a pioneer of ISO booting.

I understand very little of the rest of your post. I don't know grub4dos.

Grub4dos is a clever bootloader: it can map and boot ISO images IF distributions are built to handle their ISOs. Ultimately you can fit more ISOs on a DVD (or USB drive) and create a menu to fire the one you wish (may be specialized ISOs for rescue, developing, office, games....). For me Knoppix is very good as it can recognize Broadcom WIFI transceiver, fast in boot, and good choice of tools.

About persistency: I'd like to reserve ALSO a partition for this purpose (i.e. ubuntu based projects) like casper-rw or home-rw, so they can easily mounted.

I infer that when you boot the CD the screen does not go blank but when you boot from the USB it does. At a guess, you are not using the right cheat code. Try adding video=vga16fb:off to your boot line. If that does not work, consult the cheat code txt file in the KNOPPIX directory on the CD or search the forms for "blank screen".
Ciao

I will try thanks ! Grazie
Benny

Forester
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
It's on the thread title

So it is. Silly me. :oops:

Sorry I did not find it on LXDE menu. Can you tell me the path ? (even in terminal mode)

Are you asking how to install to USB ? It's changed from Knoppix 5. Look for "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" on the Preferences menu.

... and multiboot is also popular.

Are you trying to do multi-boot ? That's where I started (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux/) but I soon concluded I didn't know enough to get it to work.

I suggest to try a KNOPPIX install to USB and see how that goes. If you look at what's installed on thw USB you should be able to work out how to boot Knoppix from grub4dos but it doesn't look to like you'll be booting the big KNOPPIX files, not the straight iso.

Experiment with the Knoppix persistent data and see how different or not that is when compared with Ubuntu and then ask another question in a new thread.

benny59
02-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks Forester.
About multiboot I am using grub, syslinux, grub4dos and gujin combined on a 320 GB USB HD. KNOPPIX can be fired extracting all files from the ISO, but it is not the same thing as downloading the ISO and bum! firing straight away. My considerations are phylosophical only on the distribution history and strategy.

benny59
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks Forester. :cool:
About multiboot I am using grub, syslinux, grub4dos and gujin combined on a 320 GB USB HD. KNOPPIX can be fired extracting all files from the ISO, but it is not the same thing as downloading the ISO and bum! firing straight away. My considerations are phylosophical only on the distribution history and strategy.