PDA

View Full Version : Automatical booting

Freeze Styler
06-12-2003, 05:16 PM
How to set knoppix up to boot automatically without user intervention if I only have 32 Mb RAM ?
The problem is that it says I have only 15 mb ram, and it needs a swap partition. As I have no hdd, I don't have any partitions, so I can't use swap.
But I only use it as a router/firewall/samba server and I don't need a HDD for that.
The problem is that when it boots up, I have to plug in a monitor and kb, and to press enter twice, and I can't do that if, let's say....I'm not at home and there was a power failure.

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 06:03 PM
But I only use it as a router/firewall/samba server and I don't need a HDD for that.
The problem is that when it boots up, I have to plug in a monitor and kb, and to press enter twice, and I can't do that if, let's say....I'm not at home and there was a power failure.

If you have to connect a kb and monitor then that's an issue with your box not Knoppix- AFAIK Knoppix doesn't care if you have a monitor, keyboard or not and XF86Config is already to set allow "mouse open fail". The only reason you should need to intervene in the boot process is to enter any boot parameters that your box needs. The cd boots on its own. Have you checked your BIOS to see if it has setting to allow booting headless/keyboardless?

garyng
06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
you have chosen the wrong product. I think there is something in the name of 'leaf' or something like that that is specifically designed for this.

Freeze Styler
06-12-2003, 06:23 PM
You don't understand. The problem is that knoppix complains about me not having enough memory.
32 Mb memory is enough for me, but I want it to stop complaining.

garyng
06-12-2003, 06:36 PM
this is the product I was referring to

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/article.php?sid=82

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 06:43 PM
You don't understand. The problem is that knoppix complains about me not having enough memory.

Knoppix is a huge distro to boot on only 32M. There are several other bootable cd router/server distros out there already that don't need that much RAM.

Dave_Bechtel
06-13-2003, 02:25 AM
--Dude, RAM is *cheap* these days. Upgrade the box to at least 128MB and you will get much better results, especially if you have no HD.

Freeze Styler
06-13-2003, 07:54 AM
It's not about money.
I use a PI 60Mhz with 32 Mb SIMM memory.
Now, SIMM is very hard to find and 32 Mb costs as much as 128 Mb DDRAM !!!
I've found the part in the startup script that was prompting me to press enter, and now I'm looking for a way to modify it.
The problem is that it's in the compressed filesystem.
Now I'm reading about how to modify it.

Henk Poley
06-13-2003, 03:15 PM
I use a PI 60Mhz with 32 Mb SIMM memory.
Now, SIMM is very hard to find and 32 Mb costs as much as 128 Mb DDRAM !!!
I second that.

I just found out that you should be able to run Win2k3 P1-133 with 128MB, but I guess very few own such a system (even with this unlikelyness I accidently found one :-P His sytem seems to un remarcably fine). P1-Motherboards most of the time only fit 2x 2x16MB max. or else you can use 2x 2x32MB EDO but only the low 64MB will be cached, which makes writes to the upper part verrryy sllooowwww.

rickenbacherus
06-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Here are some router distros (http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=firewalls) that should work on your hardware, no rebuilding, no huge RAM requirements, no keys to press- they just boot and work. If you're set on using Knoppix on your hardware- well then good luck to you.

Freeze Styler
06-14-2003, 01:21 PM
I'll remaster it.