PDA

View Full Version : unable to boot knoppix 6.4.

postmanpat16940
03-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello from new knoppix user,

I am attempting to dualboot fedora 14 and knoppix 6.4, which are both installed on my external USB drive. Problem is, only the Fedora o/s shows up when I boot from my drive. I installed Knoppix ok, put the grub boot loader inn the Fedora installation but no joy starting up Knoppix.

Would really appreciate some help or assistance, whichever as I would like to keep both o/s

Many thanks.

Forester
03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Postman Pat, welcome to the forums.

It all depends on how much or little you know of grub and syslinux. How you installed Knoppix may make a difference as would the version of grub installed by Fedora.

Your problem has nothing to do with Knoppix. You chose to install Fedora somehow onto of Knoppix. Be as angry as you like but that is not likely to garner much sympathy or help on this forum.

You need to transcribe lines not entirely dissimilar to:

DEFAULT linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
into lines not entirely dissimilar to:

title Knoppix
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
boot
For the lines to transcribe, you need to be looking (most probably) for a file named syslinux.cfg somewhere under a directory named /boot/syslinux.

The transcription (most probably) goes into a file named menu.lst in a directory named /boot/grub. Assuming Fedora is using legacy grub. If it's used grub 2 you'll need to transcribe the lines into grub 2 speak instead of legacy grub speak (and you're looking for a file names grub.cfg). If Fedora is using grub-pc the transcription may be different yet again.

Have fun and remember this is your learning experience, not mine.