PDA

View Full Version : MPlayer Install on a HDD System - what's the most reliable?

eduard879
03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I've done a lot of searching with numerous iterations of keywords in all the forums here, as well as, Googling, and while I've come close to working out a way for a noob to do the install, usually some spanner is thrown in the gear works. And there doesn't seem to be many recent posts about this subject which leads me to think it's just not possible/pragmatic to do so.

Can anyone who's been successful in installing MPLAYER and KPLAYER on their HDD installed Knoppix 3.9 give a rundown of how they did it?
I -=really=- want to jetison my winbloze box, and playing .wmz and quicktime files is one of my last stumbling blocks.

Thanks in Advance.

Forester
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi eduard879 and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

I am sorry you did not get an immediate reply but I think your question leaves people baffled.

You mention Knoppix 3.9. Most people here are using 6.4 or 6.2. Your Knoppix must be 5 years old. I think you'd have trouble finding mplayer software to go your Knoppix.

You talk of HDD installed Knoppix. Sorry, like many here I run Knoppix from USB and have never tried the HDD install. It has been suggested there is little point and one is better off installing a proper desktop distribution to HD but I really can't say.

The page http://knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html leads me to believe mplayer is available with Knoppix 6.4. With Knoppix 6, KDE is no longer the default desktop but it is available with DVD MAXI edition. This has KDE 4.0 which I don't think has kplayer. Media players you might try are amarok, kaffeine, totem and the dragon player. I don't use media players very often and when I do I usually use vlc so I'm afraid I can't really advise which is best.

Quite recently someone with Knoppix 6.2.1 was having issues with media players but I suspect that was probably more to do with their ATI Radeon graphics and its driver than the player itself but have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29073-Knoppix-slows-down-drastically-after-a-short-while anyway.

Enjoy !