PDA

View Full Version : X Session not visible on Latitude e6510

MKLinux
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Hello. This is my first post. I am not too familiar with the ins and outs of Knoppix but it has worked great for me recovering files off older Dell laptops, D630 or so. I now am trying it on a new Latitude E6510. I choose to use the Graphical Interface in the first menu and then the full X session in the second menu. The gui display never came up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dinosoep
03-10-2011, 11:41 PM
what version of knoppix? cd/dvd?
look at this: http://www.robo47.net/blog/197-Setting-up-Linux-Debian-Squeeze-on-a-Dell-Latitude-E6510-with-Nvida-Quadro-NVS-3100M-and-1920x1080-Display

please keep us informed at how your doing :)

MKLinux
03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks. I read through that post and some of the comments. I know nearly nothing about Linux, just using Clonezilla and Knoppix and playing around with Ubuntu a bit. I simply don't have time for that kind of depth, given the time it would take with my current skill set.

dinosoep
03-11-2011, 11:28 PM
ok, what happens if you use the boot option
xmodule=vesa

Just give that a try

Forester
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi MKLinux and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

The same question has come up a number of times recently on these forums. Sometimes the person asking the question admits to having a Dell Latitide, sometimes they claim to have a GEForce to make the Japanese weep. Seldom do they realise they have an Nvidia graphics chip.

This means that, as they dilligently read the release notes at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html while waiting for their download to complete, they fail to realise that the section:

Known Bugs & Workarounds

is addressed to them.

At the very start of boot, when Tux is posing for Gallileo, at the boot: prompt, enter:

knoppix nomodeset xmodule=nvand see if that doesn't do the trick.

MKLinux
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I was first able to get back to this now. I tried Forester's advice and it worked right away. Thank you to forester and dinosoep!