PDA

View Full Version : Errors on shutdown

mogodo
06-12-2003, 07:52 PM
I downloaded 3.2 06-06-en yesterday and got it working on my system. There are two problems I encountered.

First, 'vi' takes a LONG time to start in an xterm. 2-3 minutes. Everything else takes much less time. But this is minor compared to....

Second, when I shutdown I get the following message repeated endlessly after the X system exits. setting the noscsi option at boot doesn't help. I have to do a hard reset or a hard power off.

SCSI0: ERROR on channel 0, id0, lun0, CDB: Request sense 00 00 00 40 00
Info fld=0x515d0, Current sd0b:0: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates L-EC uncorrectable error
I/O error: dev ob:00, sector 1333xxx

(the 'xxx' above increases for each repeat of the message).

I waited appox 5 minutes and saw MANY of these messages before doing a reset/power off.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Hardware info:
M/B: IWill KK266plus (1.2GHz Athlon)
RAM: 1GB
Video: ATI Radeon All-in-wonder
Sound: integrated into M/B

M

Dave_Bechtel
06-13-2003, 02:31 AM
--Check the md5sum on your ISO and re-burn; sounds like you have a read-error on the CD.

--Unless you actually have a SCSI board in the system, in which case one of your disks might be going bad...

--FYI, if you have a fast CD burner - I never burn mine at over 32X. More reliable that way.

I downloaded 3.2 06-06-en yesterday and got it working on my system. There are two problems I encountered.

First, 'vi' takes a LONG time to start in an xterm. 2-3 minutes. Everything else takes much less time. But this is minor compared to....

Second, when I shutdown I get the following message repeated endlessly after the X system exits. setting the noscsi option at boot doesn't help. I have to do a hard reset or a hard power off.

SCSI0: ERROR on channel 0, id0, lun0, CDB: Request sense 00 00 00 40 00
Info fld=0x515d0, Current sd0b:0: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates L-EC uncorrectable error
I/O error: dev ob:00, sector 1333xxx

(the 'xxx' above increases for each repeat of the message).

I waited appox 5 minutes and saw MANY of these messages before doing a reset/power off.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Hardware info:
M/B: IWill KK266plus (1.2GHz Athlon)
RAM: 1GB
Video: ATI Radeon All-in-wonder
Sound: integrated into M/B

M

mogodo
06-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. I also sent in a 'help request' to Klaus, and he replied!!! :) To answer your comments:

- the md5sum of the .iso is correct, so that's good.
- I do NOT have any scsi devices in my system.
- my burner maxes out at 16x, and I used that speed.

Klaus asked me to use the knoppix testcd boot option. It did find that something failed a md5sum check. The message said it was either damaged data on the cd, or possibly bad ram.

I'm going to reburn a cd at a slower speed and try again. I really don't want to buy new ram.

And as an additional bit of info, su-ing to root and running a 'shutdown -h now' halts the system and powers it down. Love that apm!

Thanks,

M

Henk Poley
06-13-2003, 03:20 PM
- my burner maxes out at 16x, and I used that speed.
Then try 10x?

I know that lots of people here burn Knoppix at 4x, even with their 'monster' 48x burners.

mogodo
06-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks Henk. I tried 8x this morning and got the same md5sum error when running knoppix checkcd. I'll try some things and reburn at 4x to see if that helps.

Thanks!

M

mogodo
06-14-2003, 06:26 PM
In the end it *DID* turn out to be a burn problem. I had to resort to 1x burning to get a good burn that didn't munge KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.

As some trouble shooting advice to others, the errors I encountered, indicated there either was a burn problem, or bad ram. I eliminated the bad ram problem by trying the disk on another machine and getting the same errors. I also was able to locate the error on the disk (KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX) and test for it on each reburn. In the end a 1x burn gave me a successful md5sum on that file and a good cd.

Happy burning.