PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Emachines m5305

amiramir
06-13-2003, 12:08 AM
I just got an Emachines m5305 and I am trying to boot the latest release (2003-06-06). I have done a testdisk and all is ok.

I am getting the following error:
Autoconfiguring devices... OOOOOO modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2
Done.

The 'O' above represent the 6 green parts of the progress bar before it errors.

After a while of sitting there it then starts displaying a ton of
cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 9825, etct

The spec of this machine:
Processor Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M processor 2200+
Memory 512 MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive 40 GB
Optical Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo
Video ATI® RADEON™ IGP 320M
Sound PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
Modem 56K* ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem
Network 10/100Mbps Built-in Ethernet Card
Ports / Other 3 USB ports, 1 VGA external connector, 1 Parallel Port, 1 S–Video Out, Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slots (Card Bus type I and type II)
Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical Scroll Zone

TIA,
-A-

rickenbacherus
06-13-2003, 10:23 PM
cloop error can be indicative of a bad cd.

1)Check the md5sum of the .iso you burned.

2)Boot like this:

boot: testcd

If it passes w/ testcd then boot like this:

boot: failsafe

If it boots w/ failsafe it would seem that it doesn't like something about your hardware. Try using the cheat codes to narrow it down.

boot: knoppix noscsi nopcmcia

for example.

Also you can boot like this:

boot: knoppix 2

Then do this:

dmesg | less

lspci -v

Look for errors, IRQ conflicts and anything else that might tell you what's going on.

amiramir
06-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the pointers.

I tried you suggestion and here are the results:
testcd passes: Everything looks OK. This same CD boots fine on my desktop intel box.
booting failsafe does not succeed.

I am not familiar with the boot process.
Would you expect the boot continue normally after the "modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2" problem?

-A-

Loper
06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
I just got an Emachines m5305 and I am trying to boot the latest release (2003-06-06).

Part of the problem is the chipset, ATI Radeon IGP 320M. Do a search on this site and see what I mean, and Google it with "Linux". You may need to use the cheat-code that explicitly tells Knoppix how much memory there is available, among other things.

remigo4033
07-11-2003, 01:35 AM
I just bought the same laptop and had the same problem with Knoppix. The ATI chip has its share of issues, but the problem with booting was solved for me by passing the noaudio cheatcode. I've run into some major problems trying to get the audio card working under my distro. It actually just corrupted my partition cuz it screwed around with the interrupts, the hard drive froze, and I had to reboot hard.

In any case, try the noaudio option and see if that does it for you.

daniel