PDA

View Full Version : The baddest download manager in the world.

rickenbacherus
06-13-2003, 01:42 AM
If you don't already think Debian is the most awesome distro on either side of the Mississippi then this might help convince you. Do this:

# apt-get install prozilla
# apt-get install prozgui
prozgui
File>New URL (or CTRL+N)

Now just go find that big fat 700meg .iso you've been wanting, browse all the way to the file - ftp or http, right click, Copy Link Location and past that into the New URL field>OK (You may or may not wish to select "Search for ftp mirrors).

Sit back and enjoy.

Doc
06-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Cool, keep em coming!! Specially liked your abcde post btw..

MorskNorsk
06-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Nice. Now all I need is a OC3 connection :wink: DSL just doesn't seem that fast when you download ISOs. Something to try at campus for sure though.

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Nice. Now all I need is a OC3 connection :wink: DSL just doesn't seem that fast when you download ISOs. Something to try at campus for sure though.

Of course all things are relevant and download speed is highly dependent on the servers you're downloading from, traffic, and a dozen other variables. With my cable broadband connection I would estimate that while using prozgui I usually average 200kb/s - 300kb/s. I don't put much faith in the "how fast is my connection" sites- that doesn't tell you anything more than your connection speed to their server. What impresses me is that it can automatically discover for itself whether the servers you're connected to are capable of resuming a broken download or not and will look for servers taht fit that parameter if instructed to do so. Also the fact that prozgui automatically looks for other servers and can get parts of a file from different sources and magically combine all of those parts from several servers into one complete file. I don't beleive that the occasional incorrect md5sums I've had were related to prozgui but rather a bad .iso posted on the server(s) or network problems. prozgui has always worked flawlessly for me.

Of course DSL (or more likely ADSL) isn't as fast as cable but it's so much better than dial-up it's not even funny. What are your average download/upload speeds?

I beleive that it isn't even possible to get 56k out of dial-up. The max AFAIK is 52k- how abysmal is that!?

Stephen
06-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Of course DSL (or more likely ADSL) isn't as fast as cable but it's so much better than dial-up it's not even funny. What are your average download/upload speeds?

I beleive that it isn't even possible to get 56k out of dial-up. The max AFAIK is 52k- how abysmal is that!?

Mine (ADSL) maxes out at 150k/sec but used to be able to do 250-300 until they put the cap on it. The modems are limited by regulation IIRC to connecting at either 44 or 48.

aay
06-26-2003, 11:19 PM
I get about 60k on this blasted dsl connection. I was getting a lot more with cable, but I had to drop it because the wiring was really screwed up in my appartment building. One day I could no longer get a connection at all. I reluctantly moved to dsl (having been a former dsl help desk tech). I look forward to moving out of here and getting cable back.

MorskNorsk
06-27-2003, 06:06 AM
My DSL is capped at 40K down and something like 20K a sec up right now, but I had PacHell (O, sorry, SBC (a company so bad they have to change names, great)) before and after some months of going 40K I somehow got uncapped and was able to get ~150K a sec! :shock: I'm hoping that happens again :)

Dial-up is abysmally slow. Realisticly I've only gotten up to 15K a second with them and that was a short spike late at night :evil:

rickenbacherus
06-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Wow- I'm amazed at how greedy the DSL guys are in some places! Isn't your connec speed directly proportional to the distance you are from your ISP when dealing w/ dsl?

is it any wonder tho? Last week on CNN - of all of the corporate execs who have been charged recently w/ all of these corrupt business practices only one person has actually been sent to jail so far. Just one. Interesting how that works isn't it? Justice for sale (to those who can afford it?)

Stephen
06-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Wow- I'm amazed at how greedy the DSL guys are in some places! Isn't your connec speed directly proportional to the distance you are from your ISP when dealing w/ dsl?
That is cable the more people on the line the less bandwith you end up with down the line. With the DSL you get your own dedicated line, actually they use your existing line's unused capacity at least that is how it works here.

is it any wonder tho? Last week on CNN - of all of the corporate execs who have been charged recently w/ all of these corrupt business practices only one person has actually been sent to jail so far. Just one. Interesting how that works isn't it? Justice for sale (to those who can afford it?)

And of all people to haul into court over that they pick Martha Stewart supposedly for making a couple hundred thousand dollars. Go figure eh!

MorskNorsk
06-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Greed does not even begin to describe it. I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly on the DSL market. It's quite reassuring when the telco has to run commercials saying they provide "infinite service" and all other kinds of bullshit claims. I'd consider Comcast cable but my apartment complex has their own cable monopoly!

Justice is for those with money or friends in high places (like all the N-Ron crooks).