PDA

View Full Version : Vote on the Knoppix DVD project...

Dave_Bechtel
06-13-2003, 02:19 AM
--After the results of this poll are in (2 week limit on votes) I'll email Klaus with the results. I think this DVD project should be made available to *us*, the regular Knoppix users.

--Actually, BitTorrent should be ideal for this; just thought of that.

Freeze Styler
06-13-2003, 07:56 AM
But, can't you just burn the regular ISO on a DVD ?

Henk Poley
06-13-2003, 03:25 PM
But, can't you just burn the regular ISO on a DVD ?
Yes, I think so. Maybe it's even a little faster than booting from CD.

But well, the whole thing about the upcomming DVD release is that they can finaly put about all requested software on the CD^W^WDVD. It's just that Klaus Knopper doesn't feel like maintaining it, just a stunt so to say.

rec9140
06-15-2003, 02:09 PM
I am all for the DVD being made available to everyone who wants its, be it via DL of ISO on ftp, bittorrent or what have you.

I am ALSO for the DVD being made available via a Linux CD distributor(s) for those, like me, with out DVD burners, or a desire to DL ISO's, also me.

Also you should elaborate in the poll question as to what the "free" in the free software means. I doubt it matches MY definition of the term versus Mr. Knoppers and the intended definition here.

See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2393&highlight= for free v free.

aay
06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Do we vote here? I'm all for gnucash being put on...that is if enough gnome makes it on there to make gnucash a possibility.

Dave_Bechtel
06-16-2003, 04:23 AM
--It's on there. Check the package list at my Yahoo briefcase:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/users/15548d52/bc/knoppix-dvd/packages.txt.gz?bcP7T7.Aq0LUGp.0

--If you can't get to it, email me and I'll mail you the file as an attachment. In addition, if anyone can recommend a good free file-sharing service (yahoo seems to have clamped down on file sharing unless you pay them) let me know.

Do we vote here? I'm all for gnucash being put on...that is if enough gnome makes it on there to make gnucash a possibility.

rickenbacherus
06-17-2003, 12:33 AM
I'll pay for it-I don't have a DVD burner either.

Dxtreme
06-18-2003, 12:25 AM
i would pay also - but like most no dvd burner :( but after using knoppix for only a short time i do have to say it ROCKS !

audioaficionado
06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
I'll pony up the bux for a DVD as I don't believe in a free lunch at someone else's expense and I don't have a DVD burner but I do have a DVD drive.

qa1433
06-19-2003, 06:32 PM
I would pay also, and yes I don't have a DVD burner.

Paul 8)

06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
hmmm..

Didn't we contribute too to the developement of it ? ...... :?
by adding and discussing knoppix ..........

It's true thet Ig it wasn't for Klaus there were no knoppix ,but ... ????

I also believe it is his right to decide wether he makes it public or ....

But... GPL exists too .... :?

toughest topic on this forum since months :?

probono
06-20-2003, 03:12 AM
I neither have nor want a DVD player nor burner. The technology is still immature and standards are still changing.

Dave_Bechtel
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
--AFA the burner goes, yes I agree with you. But AFA DVD *drives* go, there's really no reason to have a basic CDROM drive anymore. DVD is effectively standardized for read-only applications. (You don't have to watch movies on them, SuSE 7.3 came on DVD.)

I neither have nor want a DVD player nor burner. The technology is still immature and standards are still changing.

reub2000
06-27-2003, 08:10 AM
I'd be happy to pay $10 for a Knoppix dvd.

I am also waiting for dvd to become more mature before buying one.

den dydige
06-27-2003, 08:32 AM
I'll buy it if I can buy if from a local re-seller.
If I'd buy this as a private person I wouldn't mind too much getting it from an abroad, but I'm playing around with this at work, for work related issues so work pays for it. We must billed in local currency.

Rengoku
06-27-2003, 06:49 PM
I would also love the opportunity to beta test the DVD version of Knoppix. I have a DVD burner myself, so it won't be a problem. If anybody could give me a link to the ISO, that would be great. I'm also willing to offer DVD burning services to anybody who wants a copy of Knoppix DVD. I will just need a small fee to cover the dvd disc and the shipping cost. ;)

eadz
07-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I would also love the opportunity to beta test the DVD version of Knoppix. I have a DVD burner myself, so it won't be a problem. If anybody could give me a link to the ISO, that would be great. I'm also willing to offer DVD burning services to anybody who wants a copy of Knoppix DVD. I will just need a small fee to cover the dvd disc and the shipping cost. ;)

The beta test is over, and the DVD .iso's have been removed from the mirror :(

I didn't get a chance to test beta 2 or 3, but I hd-installed beta 1 and it's great. I had to apt-get remove crack-attack to get any work done ( very addictive game! )

As soon as anyone either knows how to buy the DVD from a distributor, or has the final DVD please post back with a report / review.

I investigated trying to get a deal making the DVDs, on demand, but there was a problem : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15898

barrymac
07-29-2003, 12:13 PM
I think this project deserves support but I'd like a downloadable DVD to be available because it changes quite often. Maybe a members only download is an idea, with people paying a subscription for access to the download area? A bit like Mandrake Club?

maat
08-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Ten bucks for a new DVD release of Knoppix every 3 months sounds great.
I got Mandrake 9.1 on DVD and really like not having to swap cd's. Call me lazy (':D')

maat

SUOrangeman
08-25-2003, 02:00 PM
DVD burners are in the $150 ballpark these days.

And, with tools like loopback devices and DaemonTolls (Windows), you do not have to burn the ISO ir order to boot it!

-SUO

sligh
04-12-2004, 12:43 AM
$10.00 for DVD - Or free Download.. Do both . I am saying DVD because so many new machines are comming with DVD installed . I have a older box and will get a DVD if needed

Coume
05-14-2004, 04:57 PM
--Actually, BitTorrent should be ideal for this; just thought of that.

Yep, it would be perfect through bittorrent...
In fact, the fedora DVD iso will be available like that, it woul dbe great if the knoppix one could be available too

Ludo

StarWreck
05-14-2004, 07:53 PM
DVD-Burners are freaking expensive! Might as well just charge a few bucks for a pre-made DVD.

zentu
05-16-2004, 12:04 AM
DVD-Burners are freaking expensive! Might as well just charge a few bucks for a pre-made DVD.

It depends where you live, I got one for christmas that was 150 out the door. That is cheaper than I paid for my first Cd-r/w, (a plextor 12/10/32a, that cost me $250 onsale, online, and I had to pay shipping.)

Now though (if you live in the use, can't determine for other countires), you can get a DVD +-RW for $100 on sale and after rebates, just pay attention. In the next year or two, I don't see having half as many Cd-R/W drives availble in stores, since prices are going down, and that means the foriegn countries costs should go down fast. Not to mention that Media is getting cheaper, I got some TDK (don't buy the media is crappy) DVD-R for $0.67 apeice, and just reciently I saw some good quality media for less than a $1 each in 20 Packs near me, and that was with cases for both of them. (for those of you who don't think that is a good deal realize that CDs cost around $0.20 for 650MB, so for $0.97 for 4812.8 MB that is a good Deal.