PDA

View Full Version : change desktop on 6.4.4

suktarb
04-20-2011, 02:20 AM
installed to HD and would like to use kde.

Forester
04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi suktarb and welcome to the Knoppix forums,

installed to HD

Never done that. Do you know what cheat code are ? Do cheat code still work with a HD install ?

would like to use kde.

The cheat code line to use with the LiveCD and LiveUSB (and I guess the HD install) is:

knoppix desktop=kdebut there is a but ....

You need the MAXI edition on DVD - the CD edition doesn't have the space for KDE and all the other software. I guess the HD install basically copies all the DVD to your HD giving all the options you get with the DVD but since I've never installed to HD I don't know for sure.

You'll find the Leave button does not offer the options to Shutdown or Reboot :rolleyes:. I think that's because there is no KDM. I find kate and konqueror behave themselves - start them under LXDE and they always start in full-screen mode.

suktarb
04-21-2011, 05:00 AM
it is hd installl and i pretty sure cheat codes wont work then

klaus2008
04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
You can create a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
DESKTOP="kde" and restart your Xsession. The script /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx will read that file and start the KDE session. Most probably you will need to change the permissions of the directory /var/tmp to 777 before you start your KDE session or you will be caught in an endless loop.
sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp should do the trick.

suktarb
04-21-2011, 04:16 PM
That endless loop thing, would that be like starting it up and having it say initiating start up over and over again?

suktarb
04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
and for creatin the file in sysconfg, do i just right click and new file?

klaus2008
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
You need to be root if you want to write that config file. I would suggest that you issue the command
sudo leafpad /etc/sysconfig/desktop in a terminal. Don' forget to save your file after you have written the line DESKTOP="kde".

I received the error message "call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?).Check your installation" in a window with an OK button only. After having clicked on that button the KDE session terminated and restarted with the same error message. I searched the web and found the solution
sudo chmod 777 /var/tmp Some solutions included the additional command
sudo chmod o+t /var/tmp but I am not sure if this step is necessary.

suktarb
04-22-2011, 03:23 AM
right on it worked, thank you. I'm just learning linux and i didn't find lxde too flexible

pacoportables
06-24-2011, 03:05 AM
so i have it:

default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 50
menu title Knoppix Boot Menu
menu background yumi.png
MENU WIDTH 72
MENU MARGIN 10
MENU VSHIFT 3
MENU HSHIFT 6
MENU ROWS 15
MENU TABMSGROW 20
MENU TIMEOUTROW 22
menu color title 1;36;44 #66A0FF #00000000 none
menu color hotsel 30;47 #C00000 #DDDDDDDD
menu color sel 30;47 #000000 #FFFFFFFF
menu color border 30;44 #D00000 #00000000 std
menu color scrollbar 30;44 #DDDDDDDD #00000000 none

default live

label live
menu label ^Run KNOPPIX LXDE from this USB
kernel /multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/linux
append noprompt knoppix_dir=multiboot/knoppix/KNOPPIX initrd=/multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz edd=off ramdisk_size=100000 lang=es vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off video=vga16fb:off nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime

label live
menu label ^Run KNOPPIX KDE
append noprompt knoppix_dir=multiboot/knoppix/KNOPPIX initrd=/multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz edd=off ramdisk_size=100000 lang=es desktop=kde vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off video=vga16fb:off nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime

label live
menu label ^Run KNOPPIX GNOME
append noprompt knoppix_dir=multiboot/knoppix/KNOPPIX initrd=/multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz edd=off ramdisk_size=100000 lang=es desktop=gnome vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off video=vga16fb:off nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime

label Adriane
menu label Run ^KNOPPIX Adriane
append noprompt knoppix_dir=multiboot/knoppix/KNOPPIX initrd=/multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz edd=off ramdisk_size=100000 lang=es vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off video=vga16fb:off nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime video=640x480 nomce adriane

Label DOS
menu label ^Run DOS from this USB
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=/multiboot/knoppix/boot/isolinux/balder.img

and work.