PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Panic- not syncing: VFS: unknown- block (8,1)

WR104
04-21-2011, 01:57 AM
In hopes of fixing my windows xp computer's blue screen of death ntfs.sys problem, i decided to download knoppix on my newer computer. When i tried to reboot my windows xp blue screen computer, i get the picture of the penguin, then go straight into a black and white page, listing "Kernel Panic- not syncing: VFS: unknown- block(8,1). i tried to download different versions of knoppix such as 6.2.1, 6.3, 6.4.3. I first tried 6.4.4. if anyone can help me please do, i am very anxious to fix the blue screen problem.

Harry Kuhman
04-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Knoppix should run even if XP is mucked up. That it doesn't makes me wonder if you have a hardware problem. The most likely hardware problem would be a memory problem. Take the lowest number copy of Knoppix that you have, boot it and type in memtest at the boot prompt to run memtest86.

Knioppix really can't do much to safely fix a problem on a NTFS partition. But if mentest fails you at least know the problem. And if that is the problem then maybe replacing (or even just removing) the bad memoy might resolve it.

WR104
04-21-2011, 02:39 AM
what would be the lowest copy? just making sure.

Harry Kuhman
04-21-2011, 02:52 AM
Lowest number you have. Or just try any disc. But my understanding is that it has been left off of some of the newer discs.

WR104
04-21-2011, 03:01 AM
hm, okay. im running the memtest- 86 right now. how will i know if it has too many errors? i already finished 2 out of the 9 tests and have errors in the second one

Harry Kuhman
04-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Any errors are too many errors. Replace the bad memory. Or If you have multiple strips of memory you may be able to remove them one at a time until you find the bad one. Really depends on your exact hardware configuration, but some 4 gig systems will run just as well with 3 gigs (since many versions of windows including XP don't use the 4th gig anyway). Or a notebook with 2 sims may run OK with just one, just have less memory to work with. But some good memory is a lot better than a mix of good and bad.

This really isn't an XP forum, but you might well find that XP works OK after you can pass memtest. That is not certain, as the bad memory may have caused the registry or other things to become corrupt. But you might luck out.

WR104
04-21-2011, 03:32 AM
how do i replace or remove bad memory?i dont know much about computers :/

Harry Kuhman
04-21-2011, 03:46 AM
It is beyond the scope of what we are trying to do here to teach you computer repair. However, it can be self taught and Google is your friend. I don't have enough information about your computer to guide you through this. I suggest researching it on Google and trying to find a friend who may be able to help. Memory is very cheap right now, so if it is a moderately new computer you should be able to find replacement memory (if you even need replacement memory) pretty inexpensively. I will suggest that if you are thinking of taking this system to Best Buy or a similar place that you would likely be much better off to just throw it away then let them over charge you for a repair to an old system. But if it uses DDR2 or DDR3 memory you should be able to replace bad memory for less than $50. If it uses older memory that might be harder to find, but still might be available if you know what you need and ask around.

WR104
04-21-2011, 05:40 AM
okay, will try! thanks for the help!