PDA

View Full Version : System Settings

jacksbutler
04-26-2011, 09:03 AM
I just installed 6.4.3 cd on to my Dell laptop with no problems, but want to re-install. I did notice that there seems to be no system settings in preferences, but suddenly there was? I also noticed that the time stayed in the correct timezone (unlike with 6.4.4) but no luck keeping the language to english uk and the keyboard to gb. Have to change them manually each time I log on. Any suggestions would be welcome and does system settings just suddenly get installed? It's not there when you first install the cd. Thanks a lot. I, by the way, think the LXDE desktop perfect :)

ICPUG
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
You have been told this on another thread you started but it was a bit confusing.

There is a bug in 6.4.3 when starting a UK keyboard.

Setting lang=uk quite likely locks everything up - it did for me.

The solution to getting the gb keyboard is using:

xkeyboard=gb

keeping the dictionary language to UK is a bit of a problem.

The bug has been resolved in Knoppix 6.5 but currently that is only available as a magazine cover disk.

jacksbutler
04-26-2011, 10:00 PM
thanks for the reply and sorted the keyboard out. Is 6.5 due for release soon? I can;t believe how little energy this uses. It'd awesome.

Werner P. Schulz
04-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Is 6.5 due for release soon?... Klaus Knopper wrote in the mailing-list (http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2011/04/msg00000.html)

As always, I will need some time to evaluate feedback from 6.5, add some
changes (including some of your proposals), and prepare the CD version
as well. So, probably not before May.

jacksbutler
04-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Not long then! The battery in this Dell Inspiron seems to last for ever using the LXDE desktop. Very fast as well. Thanks a lot.