PDA

View Full Version : New, sleep, time, flash, help!

Mark_Twain
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I have used Linux for several years, mostly Mepis and PCLinuxOS, but new to Knoppix.

Poor Man’s/frugal install of 6.4.4.

Working fine with persistent image but three nagging nitpicks.

1. Monitor won’t go to sleep with Preferences > Power Management set. The setting is persistent but it doesn’t work. (Also drives don’t spin down but that doesn’t bother me.) I have a desktop -- perhaps this is only for laptops?

2. Always boots up in UTC but this seems to be a known bug. /etc/localtime always has TZif2 that must be changed to TZ=EST (or whatever) followed by logout then time is correct.

3. I tried to install flash with apt-get update, followed by apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. The installation stalled and failed near the end. When I try to repeat apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree it says flash is already installed. How can I delete the failure and start over? Or can I just copy the flash plugin from Mepis or PCLOS? Is the plugin kernel specific or is there any reason a copy from another Linux distro wouldn’t work?

Thanks.

klaus2008
05-17-2011, 07:48 PM
3. I tried to install flash with apt-get update, followed by apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. The installation stalled and failed near the end. When I try to repeat apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree it says flash is already installed. How can I delete the failure and start over?Did you try
apt-get --reinstall install flashplugin-nonfree

Mark_Twain
05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Did you try
apt-get --reinstall install flashplugin-nonfree
That worked perfectly... once I realized I had to restart Iceweasel. Thank you very much!