PDA

View Full Version : How to install softwares in knoppix on USB

bondamanoj
05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi all,
I am a windows user and been using knoppix (5.0.1) for rescue purpose for a while. my HD has crashed recently and so i want to use my USB drive to boot and use knoppix as my OS. can some one please tell me whether to use version 5 or 6 i see version 6 does not have all the programs installed as on version 5:???: and it goes to ADRINE by default :( is there a way to change this .
i also need help to how to install additional softwares .i tried running synaptic tool using knoppix 5 but i got message that its not successfull, updating failed . can some please guide me on this
Thanks & Regards ,
ManojGupta.

Capricorny
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
As this hasn't been answered, it's probably too late for the asker, but just for the record:
Download and burn latest downloadable (currently 6.4.4), DVD version may be the safest. Install it to a pendrive, setup a persistent store, use synaptic or apt-get to install whatever programs you still are missing. Do NOT attempt at a full system upgrade unless it is absolutely necessary. When you boot from the USB, enter the options you need (always knoppix or knoppix64 for using the 64-bits kernel, adriane will give you the other, "talking" interface). Get used to working in a terminal window, if you aren't already.

Denver Dave
11-25-2011, 05:06 AM
I have a similar question, I have the 6.7 CD and somehow I thought there was a menu choice to burn a USB drive, but maybe I was mistaken. I'll boot up Knoppix and look again. What are we missing?

Thanks.

utu
11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Greetings, Dave
Look at Main Menu>Preferences>Install Knoppix to Flash Disk.

Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks utu - I finally made it here. Have the USB drive working and on to many more questions. Installed unbelievably fast.

Splinter2
02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Hello
I'd like to ask you for a little help. I've installed Knopix 7.0. When running 32bit version I can run some installation program but I need 64bit (it doesn't work under 32bit), when I've boot system in 64bit version the same program doesn't work; simply I got this message:

root@Microknoppix:/mnt/disk# ./INSTALL
copying necessary files to /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/
Executing /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/instcore
/tmp/***_install_tmp4503/INSTALL: line 95: /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/instcore: No such file or directory

Can somebody help me with my problem? I'm just a beginner.

Thank you in advance for any help.