PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix failure to boot on Asus desktop

Rheologuy
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi,
Have a 1-1/2 year-old ASUS desktop running Intel core i7, with 9 GB RAM. I am using Knoppix 5.3.1 (because I think it's the latest version with a Fortran compiler) on three different HP desktops and several laptops at work. I've booted from both a DVD and a bootable Knoppix USB stick successfully everywhere except on the ASUS. During boot, right after it finishes looking for a firewire port, it says "Can't find Knoppix file system. Dropping you to busybox shell. /static/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off."

Thanks kindly for any help.

Rheologuy

Capricorny
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi,
Have a 1-1/2 year-old ASUS desktop running Intel core i7, with 9 GB RAM. I am using Knoppix 5.3.1 (because I think it's the latest version with a Fortran compiler) on three different HP desktops and several laptops at work. I've booted from both a DVD and a bootable Knoppix USB stick successfully everywhere except on the ASUS. During boot, right after it finishes looking for a firewire port, it says "Can't find Knoppix file system. Dropping you to busybox shell. /static/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off."

Thanks kindly for any help.

Rheologuy

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try Knoppix 6.4.4, DVD version. The Fortran compiler argument is nonsense today - you set up a persistent store, and install whatever compilers you need. I have installed tens of R packages, most from source, and run lots of compiles, including Fortran on a Asus (laptop) of about that age. As for booting, I'm running 6.4.4 on four different Asus computers never a problem. But 5.3.1 is rather old, and Klaus K doesn't attempt prophetical hardware detection, methinks.

Rheologuy
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
OK, OK, OK!:) Thanks for the reply.
Rheologuy