/dev/sda2 6GB /

After install the boot give up with:
Waiting for root device /dev/sda2

Any hint?

Greetz
neo67

klaus2008
08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I think that the SCSI HDD controller of the VMware virtual machine needs three additional kernel modules not compiled into the kernel (mptbase, mptspi, mptscsih). They already exist on the HDD in the directory /lib/modules/2.6.39.3/kernel/drivers/message/fusion but are inaccessible during boot up. I found out the names of these modules when I issued
lsmod and
hwinfo --scsi while I was running Knoppix 6.7.0 from CD in the VMware virtual machine.

I created an initial ramdisk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39.3 on the Knoppix partition with these kernel modules inside. I used the update-initramfs command notwithstanding the disadvantage of a large initial ramdisk because there are some kernel modules added automatically.

I also appended the line
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39.3 to the section with the title "Knoppix" in the configuration file /boot/grub/menu.lst on the Knoppix partition.

kl522
08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
I think that the SCSI HDD controller of the VMware virtual machine needs three additional kernel modules not compiled into the kernel (mptbase, mptspi, mptscsih). They already exist on the HDD in the directory /lib/modules/2.6.39.3/kernel/drivers/message/fusion but are inaccessible during boot up.
If that is the case, perhaps just change the emulated HDD controller might be a better choice. My VMplayer has limited GUI functionality, perhaps it requires manual edit; but in VirtualBox I can select from the gui IDE, SATA, SCSI and others as my HDD controller(s). I think the capability should exist in VMWare, somewhere .....

Capricorny
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Knoppix: ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V6.7.0CD-2011-08-01-DE.iso
VMware: 3.0.1 build-227600
/dev/sda1 2GB, swap
/dev/sda2 6GB /

After install the boot give up with:
Waiting for root device /dev/sda2

Any hint?

My best tip right now, if you are running Linux, is install qemu-kvm and use that. It runs like a charm. I'm posting this from 6.7.0 DVD iso, using 64-bits kernel, running iceweasel 5. qemu-kvm in my 64-bits remastering of Knoppix 6.4.4.

klaus2008
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
@kl522
You are right. It is possible to use an IDE HDD for Knoppix 6.7.0 although the wizard of VMware Player only supports the creation of an SCSI HDD.

I used VMmanager (http://vmmanager.sourceforge.net/) to create a new virtual machine for VMware Player with an IDE HDD (8 GB). I formatted the new disk with GParted (2 GB swap and 6 GB reiserfs) and installed Knoppix 6.7.0 using 0wn. The bootloader was installed in the MBR. After installation of Knoppix 6.7.0 I disconnected the CD and was able to boot up the virtual machine without using an additional initial ramdisk.

Capricorny
08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
There's an additional problem using vmware: Right now, you have to manually patch the module sources to get them to compile with 2.6.38+ kernels. If you want to run it with your own compiled kernel or under 6.7.0, there is currently no other way. It's not too hard, but a hassle still.

Even though the problem has been known for months, and the use of the offending kernel flags has been discouraged for years, it has not been corrected.

Under Knoppix, I have found qemu-kvm to be much more useful for testing - everyday vm running may be something else, though, and I'm not in any way discontinuing my use of vmware.

Here are the commands I needed to run 6.7.0 ISO under qemu-kvm

#qemu-img create -f qcow /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img 4G &
# qemu -cdrom /store/download/iso/KNOPPIX_V6.7.0DVD-2011-08-01-EN.iso -hda /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d &

I use 64-bits throughout, at least it goes fast.

kl522
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Under Knoppix, I have found qemu-kvm to be much more useful for testing - everyday vm running may be something else, though, and I'm not in any way discontinuing my use of vmware.

Here are the commands I needed to run 6.7.0 ISO under qemu-kvm

#qemu-img create -f qcow /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img 4G &
# qemu -cdrom /store/download/iso/KNOPPIX_V6.7.0DVD-2011-08-01-EN.iso -hda /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d &
I use 64-bits throughout, at least it goes fast.

I ***SUSPECT*** you probably did not actually used kvm. On my system, to use qemu with kvm, I have to do this :-

# modprobe kvm-intel ( depends on whether your hardware is intel or amd )
# qemu -enable-kvm ..........
My kernel config is probably different from yours, so I don't know for sure. Without kvm, qemu is as slow as dog. With kvm, qemu is comparable with virtualbox and vmplayer, 32bit or 64bit.

Also there are a few GUI for qemu. The one I installed is AQEMU. Helps a bit, but unfortunately the display seems to be clobbered. Maybe is my supporting library version is bugged .....

Capricorny
08-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I ***SUSPECT*** you probably did not actually used kvm. On my system, to use qemu with kvm, I have to do this :-

# modprobe kvm-intel ( depends on whether your hardware is intel or amd )
# qemu -enable-kvm ..........
My kernel config is probably different from yours, so I don't know for sure. Without kvm, qemu is as slow as dog. With kvm, qemu is comparable with virtualbox and vmplayer, 32bit or 64bit.

Also there are a few GUI for qemu. The one I installed is AQEMU. Helps a bit, but unfortunately the display seems to be clobbered. Maybe is my supporting library version is bugged .....

Well, your suspicion fails completely. I haven't looked into the details, but somehow, I have to reinstall qemu-kvm (look for that package) after remastering to have it run correctly, i.e. with kvm. It complains if it can't, and runs very slowly, yes. (But still fast enough to debug parts of the booting process.) Maybe something to do with kernel module configuration, and remember, my setup is entriely 64-bits. Package organization may be different.

I don't feel the need for a GUI, for my limited use. And using the command line, I get all the complaints logged straight away. (Like qemu not being able to use kvm.)

Capricorny
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Just for fun: This is posted from iceweasel 5.0 running under knoppix64 booted from 7.6.0 DVD ISO file, running under qemu-kvm. Not at all slow, would definitely not have been possible with plain qemu emulation. Maybe the 64-bits design helps here, too.

Edit:
Kernel config is 2.6.39.2, downloaded from debian-knoppix site and compiled as-is. Seems to run without any hitches, only trouble is with vmware, but all post 2.6.37-kernels are affected by that, I think.

Capricorny
08-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Just a remark, I'm bypassing the DVD burning step on the way to USB flash/Poor man's install by running qemu with USB access:

# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0951:1624 Kingston Technology
#qemu -cdrom /store/download/iso/KNOPPIX_V6.7.0DVD-2011-08-01-EN.iso -hda /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d -usb -usbdevice host:0951:1624 &

Then, run "Install Knoppix to flash disk" in the virtual machine. We could of course have copied the files directly from loop-mounted ISO, but this method allows us to check things

Also, the purging and installing steps prior to remastering can be carried out in qemu virtual machine sessions, making administrative tasks very much easier.

mhwelsh
10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
If you cannot boot a hard disk install of Knoppix 6.7.1 try the following;
Start installing to the Virtual Machine and set the machine up until you reach the screen which offers to unpower the installation. Do not power the machine, close it down.
When it has closed down select "Edit Virtual Machine" and then follow the instructions here;

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws7_ace26/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ws_user&file=newguest_ws_3.html#996821

Use the Disks and Disk Drive section to change the drive to ide.

Now complete the installation of the Live CD and the transfer to HDD.
It should boot normally from the hard disk.

martin welsh

soloturn
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
i tried this with ubuntu 12.04 LTS
sudo kvm -cdrom Downloads/KNOPPIX_V7.0.2DVD-2012-05-30-EN.iso -boot d -m 512 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=7

"Install Knoppix to flash disk" recognizes the memory stick (16GB in size), formats it, and starts writing. the bar goes right before the end, and then it stalls.

Just a remark, I'm bypassing the DVD burning step on the way to USB flash/Poor man's install by running qemu with USB access:

# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0951:1624 Kingston Technology
#qemu -cdrom /store/download/iso/KNOPPIX_V6.7.0DVD-2011-08-01-EN.iso -hda /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d -usb -usbdevice host:0951:1624 &

Then, run "Install Knoppix to flash disk" in the virtual machine. We could of course have copied the files directly from loop-mounted ISO, but this method allows us to check things

Also, the purging and installing steps prior to remastering can be carried out in qemu virtual machine sessions, making administrative tasks very much easier.

Capricorny
07-15-2012, 07:48 PM
i tried this with ubuntu 12.04 LTS
sudo kvm -cdrom Downloads/KNOPPIX_V7.0.2DVD-2012-05-30-EN.iso -boot d -m 512 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=7

"Install Knoppix to flash disk" recognizes the memory stick (16GB in size), formats it, and starts writing. the bar goes right before the end, and then it stalls.

I have had success with a simpler command line for qemu (1.1.0), in Knoppix:
sudo qemu -cdrom Downloads/KNOPPIX_V7.0.2DVD-2012-05-30-EN.iso -hdb /dev/sdb -boot d -m 512 Seems to be something buggy in detailed USB handling in recent qemu versions, but this wholesale "-hdb" way has worked for me. Haven't tried in other distros, as long as Knoppix does the job.. modprobing kvm and kvm-intel and adding "-machine accel=kvm" makes it run much faster -when hardware allows it.

Werner P. Schulz
07-15-2012, 09:00 PM
modprobing kvm and kvm-intel and adding "-machine accel=kvm" makes it run much faster -when hardware allows it. Have a look at Test CD (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#Test_CD_Image_Without_Bu rning_a_CD) if your computer has AMD processor.