PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot into desktop environment

trader5050
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
<span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hello,

I'm having problems with Xorg, it seems. I can only get graphics to start working if I rename xorg.conf, otherwise it results in "no monitors found." Once those graphics start to appear (mountain background image starts to load, I can see and move mouse), it will drop back to terminal and give me a number of errors:

I get 2x the "PreInit returned null for <x>" errors regarding my touchpad. One of the touchpad itself, another for the "Macintosh 2 button" emulation. I then get another for "Error setting MTR."

In both cases it's also described as "Inappropriate IOCTL for device."

The problem is that I just deployed to the big sand pit in the middle east and don't have any way to really troubleshoot this easily. It's my only laptop and until it's functional I don't even have internet access in my room (phone antenna too weak for signal). I have to walk about 1/2 mile over to the media center location to hop on a computer, so excuse the lack of exact detail in my errors/etc.

Any help at all is wonderful.</span>

klaus2008
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
If the background image is a mountain you probably have an older version of Knoppix. The support of your graphics card might be better in a more recent version of Knoppix. The latest one is 6.7.0. I would try
knoppix xmodule=vesa or
fb800x600 at the boot prompt.

trader5050
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I was able to solve off the live CD by applying at the prompt.

knoppix xmodule=nv

I later installed Knoppix directly to the drive, and I can swear that it worked straight from there the first time without any options needed. Very odd.