PDA

View Full Version : Bugreport: DHCP with nonetworkmanager does not work + netcardconfig in console error

uroni
08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Because I didn't find any Bugtracker I'll post info about this (perhaps) bugs here.

I'm currently remastering Knoppix 6.7. I use it as the base of a bare metal restore cd ( for http://urbackup.org). Because the restore wizard displays stuff only using dialog I don't need all the packages concerning a graphical user interface. I purged them all ;).

Because I purged network-manager knoppix falls back to the standard debian network setup by just calling "ifup". This somehow does not work when called in the busybox shell. Changing
ifup to /bin/bash -c "ifup" fixed this problem. Then networkcards get configured automatically if a DHCP server is present.

If the above fails the user can choose to start netcardconfig or wlcardconfig. If one says no to the autoconfiguration via DHCP netcardconfig fails to display the next menu if dialog is used instead of xdialog. Changing the parameters from "15 75 18" to "15 50 10" (dialog can't fit the window on the screen even with vga=791) fixed that. I could only test netcardconfig till now.

Otherwise everything seems to work fine. It takes approximately 5 seconds from boot to the restore wizard, which is great. It is easy cusomizable, especially with those kn-knoppix scripts I found here (maybe mention them on the wiki as well?). Keep up the good work! Thanks!

utu
08-14-2011, 10:40 PM
#!/bin/bash

# rc.local

setwifi () { # see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495
WIFI="eth1"; dhclient -r $WIFI; ifconfig $WIFI up
iwconfig $WIFI essid "ESSID" key "123456789c" mode "Managed"
nohup dhclient $WIFI
}

setwifi

exit 0

That's what I used to use in 6.4.4.
You may want to use something more secure.
In 6.4.4, for some reason getting wifi on-line took about 2 min.
This took only 50 sec or so.
In 6.7, network manager is getting on-line now in about 50 sec,
so this isn't necessary for me any longer.