PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for next or some future release

Sergio1704
06-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Hi everybody,
if I understand correctly, there is going to be a new installer. But anyway, regardless, I'd like to see the following changes once Knoppix is installed to hd:
1) CD and floppy mounted and with icons on the desktop.
2) Please, would be possible to do something about the fonts? The one installed now are in my opinion very ugly.
3) I second the suggestion , made in the DVD thread, for a second CD.

And by the way, this question has been asked many times, but I believe that has never been answered: if you want to download from Debian, what do you use, Sarge or Sid?
Regards
Sergio

Stephen
06-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Hi everybody,
if I understand correctly, there is going to be a new installer. But anyway, regardless, I'd like to see the following changes once Knoppix is installed to hd:
1) CD and floppy mounted and with icons on the desktop.

See post by Fabianx in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2230#10568)

2) Please, would be possible to do something about the fonts? The one installed now are in my opinion very ugly.

apt-get install msttcorefonts to install the Microsoft web core fonts. Also edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the lines with the 100dpi to be loaded after the 75dpi.

Relevant section

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"

Then logout and restart the xserver from the menu option on the login screen.

Just discovered this on Debian User create a ~/.Xresources file with the line Xft.autohint: 1 in it then logout and login you'll see a difference.

And by the way, this question has been asked many times, but I believe that has never been answered: if you want to download from Debian, what do you use, Sarge or Sid?
Regards
Sergio
It has been answer many times to find out what version of debian you are running cat /etc/debian_version in a console window. It will tell you testing/unstable AKA sarge/sid. To find where a package will be installed from apt-cache policy < package_name >. If the package you want to install is in unstable and the testing version will be installed then apt-get install < package_name >/unstable will install the version from unstable.

beforewisdom
06-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Find some way to make the boot options ( F2) more obvious and friendly to noobs.

At least have a menu of the different desktops available so people don't mistakenly think that kde is all of gnu/linux

Steve